I just saw "Muppet Family Christmas" for the first time!

Dearth

Reaction score
Hard to believe, but true. But, hey, I would feel a little depressed on the day that I realized I had seen everything Jim Henson had ever done, so let's celebrate the fact that there are still treasures out there to be discovered.

So, here's some thoughts... at the beginning of the movie, the first song they sing hit me with a wave of nostalgia, because the first time I ever appeared on local television, at the wee age of fourteen or so, it was with my school's show choir and we sang THAT song.

Since I still kinda 'see' the lyrics in my head when I hear it, on the line "carols at the spinnet", I had this overwhelming desire for Big Bird or Oscar the Grouch to have been part of the group. I finally realized, that song is what Carroll Spinney's name has always subliminally reminded me of!

Then, when the Sesame Street gang shows up, they're doing what? They're CAROLing... and I busted a gut when Big Bird gave the aside: "I love carols," because I firmly believe that was an intentional inside joke.

Another thought... when the Frogs meet the Fraggles, do you think Jerry Nelson might have been puppeteering Robin and Gobo at the same time, one on each hand? The way the shot is framed, it's definitely possible, and the lip synchs are dead-on. I know he's done some left-handed puppeteering, so it's in the realm of possibility.

I looked on here for a thread about this show, but I didn't immediately spot one dedicated just to that program. Mods, feel free to move this to the end of an existing thread if need be.

Dearth

SeanC

Reaction score
I love that special - particularly Gonzo's face-off with the turkey and the Swedish Chef breaking into tears when Big Bird gives him the bag of seed.