I substituted at my old high school today!!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It was my first day of substituting, teaching, or whatever you like to call it. Anyway I subbed for pe today which was first and second period, and for theater in third and forth period. Classes are an 1 and 1/2 hours and the day is from 8:35 am til 3:45 in the afternoon.

It wasn't to bad. I graduated from my high school back in 2000, and kind of fe;t put of place, I was acting as a teacher, but kind of felt like I was still a student.
I saw my old spanish 1 teacher, who I had as a freshman in 1996, and she couldn't believe I was teaching for the day. She said she felt old and that I look to young to be a teacher!

Anyway, first and second period I had to sub for pe, which was in the gym and there was this other guy, a regular coach at the school, who was also my age, who had a class first and second period in the gym and helped me, although it was a free day for the students so all they did was play basketball, tennis, or lift weights.

Third and forth period, I had to sub for a theater teacher. Third period, the students were kind of crazy, since they hadn't had lunch yet, but were still okay. Fourth period the students were better. I even had conversations with some of the students, just talking with them. Felt like I was more of a student.

I also forgot how much junk food students eat, eating chips and cookies, and candy, and drinking coke and sprite, etc. and I also couldn't believe that a lot of students had cell phones with them.

Anyway, the day was pretty good, since it was my first day at the job.

ryan

F

furryredmonster

Awesome!! Be a good teacher now and don't take the cell phones away.... I hate it when that happens!!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Congrats! I started student-teaching this week, so I understand how weird it can be to be back in a school again. Keep up the good work!

Ernie101

Reaction score
That had to be an interesting experience. I can't even imagine doing it, especially since im in high school right now. It'd be an eye opener for me.. but nevertheless.. Congrats!

Ernie101

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It did feel weird walking around, not being a student at the school since I was a student for four years there. And my old spanish teacher, who is now an assistant principle is still there, as well as my band directors I had when I went there, and someone who graduated with me who actually teaches spanish who i'm sure felt weird walking into the classroom for the first time being a teacher and not a student.

ryan

Ernie101

Reaction score
Wow, I actually envy you.. seriously! Thats awesome.

I don't think I could do it. Going into the school with the mindset of being a teacher rather than a student.. So many memories would arise as I walked around the school.. It would really make me think how fast time flies..

Ernie101(drake).