1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

I Think my Head's Been in the Clouds too Long...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by D'Snowth, Oct 6, 2011.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Let me ask you guys something, do you ever take the time to stop and think that the fine lines between fantasy and reality have become so fine they become blurred and invisible?

Do you ever stop and think that perhaps you've maybe had you head up in the clouds a little longer than you should have?

Have you ever stopped and realized that perhaps your hopes, goals, aspirations, ambitions, and dreams are simply far too grand and big for a little person like you to even begin to try to achieve?

*Shrug*
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm heavily grounded and know the difference between reality and fantasy.

Simple difference that ANYONE should know.

Reality sucks.
    gonzosgirl1987 likes this.
  3. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

There's a line?

LOL. :D

Yeah, I long ago felt a smidge let down by my dreams. It seems like every time I finally might be happy, life slaps me in the face ... and that's not even in my fantasies, but all in real life. :p
  4. heralde Well-Known Member

That's true of everyone. Life doesn't get happy and stay happy, it goes in and out of stages and back again.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

See? The line's simple! It's the one lined with barb wire that leads right off a cliff.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  6. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm seriously considering just giving up on my career, mainly because I seriously don't think I really have what it takes to run my own business, irregardless if it's a puppet production company, or not... I'm just not a leader, and never really was... even when I was in school and was put in group projects, I was always the one who the others DIDN'T want opinions or suggestions from.

My biological career clock has been ticking, and nothing has been going according to plans... 2011 is almost over, and I STILL haven't been able to get Steve's new show into production, and I promised his fans and followers I'd do what I could to get the show done before 2011 is over... not to mention, I had other projects planned chronilogically for 2012, 2013, and 2014 as well... I've made more plans and have lost more time.

Not to mention, I doubt people will be willing to take a chance on me anyway... I'm not the Muppets and not trying to be, ye I'm sure people would think I'm a Muppet knockoff anyway... even though when you think about it, there ARE Muppet knockoffs out there who probably WOULD be given chances.
  7. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

I know how you feel, pushing forward to be forced back x number of steps, and i never want to be some one that tells somebody else to stop pursuing their dreams...

perhaps maybe take it slower, i know not the ideal right now, but maybe do youtube stuff, id say myspace videos but not sure how that works anymore...or a facebook fan page that pushes your name out there and what you do...i know none of those are ideal but they do help a little, a simple google search of my name or Freddy J frog brings up alot of Scrapstv stuff. im rambling but basically dont give up keep your dream of your show but maybe do little videos here and there on some site to show your work and generate interest in the public

dont let your talent drop
    Fragglemuppet and heralde like this.
  8. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying Julio... and I've pretty been doing that for the past four years now... and sometimes I do Google Steve D'Monster, but don't get very many results, mainly because Google wants to "correct" the search results for "Steve Monster", an entirely different character of a entirely different artform altogether.
  9. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

its tough....people want the next jersey shore instead of actually something good to watch
    RedFraggleRocks likes this.
  10. robodog Active Member

I've felt like that many a time. My illness would make going to school to learn the things I'd need to learn to to fulfill my dreams difficult if not impossible. I think I've reached a point that I've accepted my dreams are never going to happen. But that's me.
    I hope you don't give up. The world needs more puppeteers. It's a fascinating art form that really doesn't get much love. I wish you the best of luck.
  11. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "people" want the next Jersey Shore, but I know it's the network executives that do... people certainly know what they want, and it eems to me that people want more of what television USED to be like, but all the execs care about are the cash cows, and in this day and age, what's going to be the cash cow: a series featuring puppets in relatable, true-to-life situations; or two people getting tangled up in bedsheets?
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

You know something to keep in mind that we only tend to hear about the huge, continuous success stories in the business. They're few and far between and not particular realistic. You don't hear about the working actors, directors, etc. who encounter more failure than success, but keep going anyway. :)
  13. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Bad Religion puts it oh so eloquently :

"Life is the crummiest book I ever read"
  14. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Ahahaha?

But anyway, getting back to your point Julio, actually, as it turns out, although I have still done little miniscule YouTube videos, it seems like Steve's following has REALLY dwindled to practically nothing these days, which is really discouraging, because that leaves me with hardly any feedback to provide me with stepping stones towards making improvements and such, so I really don't know what people out there think anymore.
  15. beaker Well-Known Member

Nope. It's just about taking small principle baby steps each day toward realizing them. No positive aspiration is too big or small. You just gotta go for it.
  16. beaker Well-Known Member

Also, sometimes you gotta just go the online route. Instead of trying to go to design school or move up through the ranks in the media industry, I decided just to do an online cartoon on youtube. And soon I'll be launching a comedy vlog/sketch show on youtube. Best way to get out there really. So if you wanna do a puppet show or whatever, youtube is the way to go.

You people REALLY need to see this amazing new documentary. You CAN do it, if you want to is the message
    TheWoodringman likes this.
  17. newsmanfan Well-Known Member

------------------------
    Beaker, can you repost that? All I see is blank space...

Snowth, I agree with all the other punters here: do NOT give up. Rethink, replan, reissue your work, yes online...make sure you link back to other puppet appreciation sites, comedy video sites, get the search bots to recognize your stuff under broader keywords than just your name or your show's. ALSO, GO LIVE. Go hassle local clubs of all stripes to give you a one-night show of your puppets (if that's something you can logistically do), work for free, just get into the public eye and get someone to film any such performance and then put the film online! Bug festival organizers, even if it's just small potatoes, to let you perform. (I get the opinion Frogpuppeteer does a lot of this and knows how to get noticed from the ground up.) Grassroots, baby! Hey, isn't there some weird band who started with an obscure video about walking track machines at a gym who're now working with Muppets? Huh? :D

Don't lower your expectations. Think small, plan big.

You think I count on my writing here to get me noticed worldwide? Of course not. But it's killer practice, and word of mouth has to start somewhere...

----------------------
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  18. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I don't consider lowering my expectations means I've lost the big picture. I'm the kind of person who would, if necessary, take out an individual speck of sand in order to clear a beach (eventually, LOL). I had lots of dreams when I was a kid: doctor, teacher, preacher, etc. Heck, I still want to rule the world. :D

However, the REAL depressing thing, sometimes, is when you lower the bar and things still don't measure up.

I've learned to stop planning the destination and just follow my heart on its journey. :)
    Fragglemuppet and newsmanfan like this.
  19. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think that like at least once a week. I'll get really excited about my dreams and career and then the next day I start thinking "Stupid dreams!"

And...sorry that's really all I can offer is empathy. I still haven't wuite figured it out so you probably don't want my advice on the subject. Though I would tend to agree with all the other people who are saying don't give up on it completely, though trying to be flexible seems to work.
  20. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I do have another new video planned for YouTube... I may finish it later in the week, I'm not sure... it's the sudden drop in views and such that's rather discouraging.