I Think my Head's Been in the Clouds too Long...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Admittedly, I do have another new video planned for YouTube... I may finish it later in the week, I'm not sure... it's the sudden drop in views and such that's rather discouraging.
I know how that feels, have you sent the video links around to different sites? (Blogs, etc)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not really, mainly because I've learned my lesson when it comes to self-promotion like that... people see you coming off as shameless and desperate for attention, and actually turns people AWAY rather than turn people to, so I just don't.

I DO go a little overboard with the tags and such in the videos in hopes that the most insignificant thing featured in the videos will garner people's attention, lol, I know quite a few people do that.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I DO go a little overboard with the tags and such in the videos in hopes that the most insignificant thing featured in the videos will garner people's attention, lol, I know quite a few people do that.
Someone once told me that that was the best way to get people to watch your videos.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Someone once told me that that was the best way to get people to watch your videos.
I've even considered adding some naughty tags to the videos as well (I've seen people do it before)... but I don't think I'm THAT desperate, :laugh:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not really, mainly because I've learned my lesson when it comes to self-promotion like that... people see you coming off as shameless and desperate for attention, and actually turns people AWAY rather than turn people to, so I just don't.
Well there's an art to it. You have to give something to them first, compliment their stuff, participate in their community first and then you could promote your own stuff.

I don't know about YouTube but I know on WordPress they say that LESS tags are better.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
im guilty of it...any tag that can reach a wider audience ive put at times, but even still i agree to push yourself to people even if it comes off as a shameless plug because everyone does it, even me. im always constanly bothering other people to check out my stuff and even if one doesnt go i get a few that do

also something i suggest doing is emailing youtube partners ive become decent friends with a few..one ive helped on her videos more than once and she featured me on one of her songs...im currently working on another for a second partner

D'Snowth

Reaction score
also something i suggest doing is emailing youtube partners ive become decent friends with a few..one ive helped on her videos more than once and she featured me on one of her songs...im currently working on another for a second partner
Eh, most YouTube partners are so up themselves though... even Mike Mozart seems more wrapped up in himself these days, just about everybody is begging him to stop whatever it is he keeps doing these days (seems like podcasts with randomass people and such) and do more toy reviews... and it HAS been a while since he's done decent toy reviews, seems like he's only doing toy reviews at Halloween and Christmas anymore.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Eh, most YouTube partners are so up themselves though... even Mike Mozart seems more wrapped up in himself these days, just about everybody is begging him to stop whatever it is he keeps doing these days (seems like podcasts with randomass people and such) and do more toy reviews... and it HAS been a while since he's done decent toy reviews, seems like he's only doing toy reviews at Halloween and Christmas anymore.
i stopped watching him a while ago his first reviews where cool and clever then he just got weird

beaker

Reaction score

You sound JUST like me. Back in 2002-2005, I used to shamelessly promote this webcomic I did, even going so far as to spend hundreds on online advertising. While I soon was getting a sustained 10,000-12,000 people a day checking it out, I just felt burned out after a year and kind of squandered the opportunity.

Now pretty much I just go with the "if you build it they will come" notion...all it takes is one semi popular blog to mention you, or linkage from other ways and the rest comes. I do pass out flyers at conventions and such, but I just don't want to be seen as a shameless promoter anymore. Oh gosh, I pretty much fill each of my videos and ads with a zillion metatags.

beaker

Reaction score
im guilty of it...any tag that can reach a wider audience ive put at times, but even still i agree to push yourself to people even if it comes off as a shameless plug because everyone does it, even me. im always constanly bothering other people to check out my stuff and even if one doesnt go i get a few that do

Well I think only if it actually applies. In my cartoon I spoof Friendship Is Magic, Angry Birds, Dubstep, DDR, and a zillion other popular phenomenons and then tag those. But I learned a lot of lessons from years past from good and bad online promotion, and the main thing is consistency. A lot of the popular youtube channels only got popular from having a lot of content, and the success came after awhile(Angry Nerd, Mr Weebl, Harry Partridge, Egoraptor, Phil Defranco, etc)