I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Airing tonight on ABC is a new one-hour Peanuts special. Check it out and let us know what you think.

I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown!
centers on ReRun, the lovable but ever-skeptical younger brother of Linus and Lucy. It's Christmas vacation and, as usual, ReRun's big sister is stressing him out, so he decides to turn to his best friend, Snoopy, for amusement and holiday cheer. However his faithful but unpredictable beagle companion has plans of his own, giving ReRun reason to ask Snoopy to invite his canine brother Spike for a visit. When Spike shows up, it looks like ReRun will have a dog for Christmas after all... but then the real trouble begins.

Beebers

Reaction score
Oh, this is outstanding. The drawing and animation honor Schultz all the way and the voices are the closest they've ever come to the old Charlie Brown Christmas voices. Wow. They even got Snoopy's laugh right, which hasn't happened in awhile.

I was quite torn as I was right in the middle of Rudolph on CBS when I saw your post (cruelest of network scheduling) but too cool, thanks for the post-alert.

Spike has always been underfeatured, it's great to see him! There's a brilliant line when Lucy picks up Spike and says, "You're as thin as a promise!"

Excellent writing and an honor to Charles Schultz, as it should be. He'd be proud.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, it was really good. I was disappointed that it was on opposite Rudolph. Still I really enjoyed it.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I MISSED IT :sympathy:

I used to heavily collect Peanuts stuff as a kid (still a moderate fanatic!) Who did the music? I must say that nobody could ever replace Vince Guaraldi, as most of the 80's specials lacked that special something that he brought to the earlier specials. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be on again sometime.

later
eric

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I thought it was really good. It was a cute special, and I agree, the voices sounded a lot like the originals. I also thought it was interesting that I caught a few Peanuts catchphrases like "Happiness is a warm puppy" and "Sisters are the crabgrass in the lawn of life." I was a little disappointed with the Lucy special a few months ago, but I thought this one was right on. :smile:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
I loved it. If you include the added segments to Charlie Brown Christmas, there have been 3 Christmas specials other than the first one. Though they can never compaire, they were all quite brilliant.

The best thing about the special was that it wasn't about Snoopy, Chuck, or anyone like that, but Rerun, one of the most obscure characters in the Peanuts Canon. And topping it off with Spike (my fave third string character) it was a blast.

My one nitpick? The scene were Lucy meets Spike and Fattens him up was already done in animation in the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
A good friend of mine taped it for me, so I hope to see it. I also still haven't seen "Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown" either.

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show featured vignettes of different comic strips from over the years. Actually, I liked the CBnS Show alot--it were funn-ee to me.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think I saw the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show a few times and thought it was cool. :cool:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show featured vignettes of different comic strips from over the years. Actually, I liked the CBnS Show alot--it were funn-ee to me.
I actually have a book somewhere that had a lot of episodes made from the strips inside. The only notiible change is the fact that Snoopy doesn't "Talk" (via thought balloons, like Garfield) in any of them.

In fact he only does this in Your a good man Charlie Brown and Snoopy the Musical animated specials (where it is integral)