I watched Sesame Street today for the first time in a while

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I had the day off today so I watched the 2 airings of Sesame Street on PBS this morning. The first one was at 6am, and let me tell you, I was quite surprized. The whole episode was about Telly, Baby Bear, and Zoe there was no humans in the whole episode, and they all stayed in the exact same spot. It was a really predictable plot and I was kind of disapointed by that. It was really unusual to not see any humans, even for a newer show. Usually at least one will show up, even if it is for a brief time. I guess theyr'e really phasing out the adults these days. Also it would have been nice if Big Bird, Oscar, or one of the classic charachters like Ernie, Bert, or Grover made an appearance in this episode. They did however show the song Everybody Eats, which was really nice to see. Although not as good as the original, still a very nice tune. There was another Animation I saw on this one that I think is from the late 80's with the boy and the girl talking about Zero Elephants. There was a newer Eric Jacobson/Steve Whitmire Ernie and Bert sketch where they sang the classic song "Rub your Tummy" I used to have a Record of that song with David singing it. I think it was also sung by Hal Miller/Gordon on another Record. It looks like Bert got a haircut. I remember his hair being puffier like Ernies.

The next episode was the 10am airing and it was about Zoe needing a Rock Sitter for Rocco, after asking, Baby Bear, Elmo, and Gina, Telly finally agrees to be his Rock sitter. This episode was a little better because it did show some humans, Gina, Alan, and Bob (a classic human) It was nice in a way because for a good portion of the plot it was just Telly and Elmo together. They used to be together a lot back in the mid and late 80's, and they seemed to be a good team. But of course that was before Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear etc. So there wasn't as many street charachters. But it was nice getting a break from the newer charachters. Baby Bear made a few short appearances, and Zoe was there but not for the whole story. The Ernie skit in this episode really surprized me Big time. I haven't seen that "I have a little plant" song in a long long time. It was on the show quite a bit when I was a little kid. I'm not sure when that skit is from, but it looks 1980ish Does anyone know for sure? Also the number of the day spot was different in this episode, instead of the count and his organ it had the Count and The Countess (looks like she made a comeback) counted up to 18. It wasn't too bad of a show, but it could have been better. No Big Bird or Oscar in either show except for in their regular spots (Journey to Ernie and Trash Gordon) The show certainly has changed over the years. I get more and more surprized as time goes on. Who knows what it will be like in another 5 years. It seems like they like to focus on the main 4. Telly, Baby Bear, Zoe, and Elmo. It's not so bad seeing Telly. He's been there as far back as I can remember, but I tend to like the old Telly and Oscar Routines, and I prefer Telly with his original voice.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I know we all miss the old SS, and I not trying to single you out, but Sesame Street is really for children and not twenty something year old adults.

now don't get me wrong, I whach to show myself, and I'm not one of those people who looks at adults who whach SS as if there is something wrong with them, because I understand.

But for all the complaints that we have about how the show is nowdays, It's really not for us, and were not it's target audience, and it's not 1984, and this is a new generation of kids whaching today. I'm sure that in my day, when I was old enough to whach SS, that there were older people older then me who grew up with the show that had problems with the way the show was then.

But one of the keys for Sesame Street being on this long is change. Back in 2003 when they started this new format and one of the first major changes in the 33 year old history of the show at the time, the ratings went up 33%, higher then what they had been in years. So in other words, the children came back, and to reiterate my point, that is who they make the show for. It's just a little bit like a guilty pleasure for us older people.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I understand what your'e saying, but I really think kids could benifiet from the show if they used more charachters and brought some old ones back. I don't think it's a good idea to just stick to 4 main charachters and ignore the others, one thing I really liked about this show before was that there was many charachters, also more episodes.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I'm right there with you.

When I first started watching SS again, and got the rude awakening that "The Fantastic 4" (as I fondly like to call them) had worked their way up the ladder so far as to pass even the human characters, (not to mention the other muppets) where popularity was concerned, it saddened me greatly. Then I got angry, tried to vent, got verbaly beaten into submission, and am now at the point where I'm simply ready to just hold a candel-light vigial for all the old characters (both human and muppet) that I know I will probably never see again, and move on. I have just about come to the conclusion that this fight to keep the memory of Jim Hensons version of SS alive by trying to get its episodes re-aired is not a battle meant for amateures such as myself.
(But, then again, I could also just be having an "off day" today. Who knows?):sympathy:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
A lot of older charecters did not work either beacaus they did not go over well with the public or becaus they were a bad influence with kids and concernd parents were not to happy with it. other then that, most of the old characters are still there, just they may of had to take a backseat to chacracters they children Identify and connect to the most, especially sense they are closer to their age.

I am happy that ss still has place for many of these classic Muppets.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Well I guess Sesame Street the way it is now, is better than no Sesame Street at all, and I am grateful that it's still around and a lot of the humans who were there 30 years ago are still there today and going strong (although used less). It just isn't the show it once was and it's disapointing for a child of the 80's. But it could be much worse.. I'm looking forward to, and am definetley gonna watch the Season Finale 2 parter with Mumford making Big Bird small. That sounds like a show with a real classic theme to it. Also I thought Mumford was gone for good. I sure am happy he's not locked away with Forgetful Jones and Leo the Party Monster like I thought he was.

BEAR

Reaction score
I miss a lot of the stuff from 10 or so years ago too, but need to remind myself that Sesame Street is always changing and evolving with time. Within 5 years from now I am sure there will be something else different or some other new character emerging. Sesame Street has always been very a head of its time in many ways. It is still so innovative and it is still the most beloved and respected childrens show in all of television history. It is the grandpappy of them all and paved the way for other great shows to follow such as Blues Clues and even Bear in the Big Blue House. These other shows have barrowed from SS to create their own greatness. SS is very up to date with the times and with the children's needs of today. One thing hasn't changed--it is still the best darn street in the world!:smile:

PS...some of these characters that we thought were lost forever are not necessarily so. Just haven't really had anything for them to do. Certain characters like Mumford, Sherlock and Guy Smiley only serve a fairly limitted purpose but they can still and will be pulled out whenever needed. Mumford is making an appearance soon!

Rosewood

Reaction score
I can't wait!

BEAR said:
PS...some of these characters that we thought were lost forever are not necessarily so. Just haven't really had anything for them to do. Certain characters like Mumford, Sherlock and Guy Smiley only serve a fairly limitted purpose but they can still and will be pulled out whenever needed. Mumford is making an appearance soon!
Boy! What a breath of fresh air this will be! Do you know any specifics as to when they will be airing this?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Boy! What a breath of fresh air this will be! Do you know any specifics as to when they will be airing this?
I believe sometime around Chrismas.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
One of the things I admire about Sesame Street is that even thow they change with the times, they still hold on to the same principles and values as when they started

But I guess one of there many principles is change.