I will be EXTREMELY impressed if you remember this...

charon

Reaction score
PLEASE help me remember this skit on old Sesame Street...early 80's.

It involved Bob as an explorer/adventurer type of character. He wore a pith helmet and was searching for some character called the 'hermit' (I may be remembering that name slightly wrong). About the only part I remember is Bob crawling out of the ocean after swimming a great distance and clawing his way through the sand.

I feel that I may be going nuts, as NO ONE that I know remembers this skit besides me.

Maybe I dreamed it.

I will be extraordinarily impressed, if anyone besides me remembers this skit and can describe it more fully or (please God) has a youtube clip...

I am in your debt...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Say no more! I remember this one! Bob is searching for Kermit the Hermit, presumably the wisest man in the world.

Various scenes show Bob crawling through the bushes, in and out of the water, and as time goes by-five years, ten years, twenty years- Bob is getting ever more shabby looking, but after a long time, he finally catches up with the elusive hermit.

After all these years of searching, Bob has only one thing to say to the ancient prophet.

"Tag! You're it! Now you chase me!" And off Bob goes, with Kermit the Hermit dressed in a long flowing robe and carrying a staff, in hot persuit.:smile:

charon

Reaction score
Oh my god...you're right. I forgot those other parts.

THANK YOU! After all these years someone else remembers...

I'M NOT CRAZY!

fuzzygobo said:
Say no more! I remember this one! Bob is searching for Kermit the Hermit, presumably the wisest man in the world.

Various scenes show Bob crawling through the bushes, in and out of the water, and as time goes by-five years, ten years, twenty years- Bob is getting ever more shabby looking, but after a long time, he finally catches up with the elusive hermit.

After all these years of searching, Bob has only one thing to say to the ancient prophet.

"Tag! You're it! Now you chase me!" And off Bob goes, with Kermit the Hermit dressed in a long flowing robe and carrying a staff, in hot persuit.:smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:

Bob was also speaking with either an English or Irish accent. I'm sure this story was based on something.

Andy

Reaction score
I remember that! It definitely predates 1980. I remember seeing that clip the first time at my aunt and uncle's house. I actually quite liked that skit. Bob was definitely using the "old British explorer" accent in that one. I can still see him crawling out of the water onto the shoore!

PiLfan

Reaction score
I remember this one too....fuzzygobo's description brought it right back to me. I remember thinking this was a really cool skit back when i saw it eons ago.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Andy said:
I remember that! It definitely predates 1980. I remember seeing that clip the first time at my aunt and uncle's house. I actually quite liked that skit. Bob was definitely using the "old British explorer" accent in that one. I can still see him crawling out of the water onto the shoore!
I first saw it in the 80s myself. Wonder when it first aired? I know in the late 70s we began seeing video tape segments with the SS cast doing skits out and about NYC but then again they began with video tape intros at the beginning of the show as early as 1972.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly when this skit first aired. Let's say most likely when Jimmy Carter was president (1976-1980, you pick the year).

As crowded as New York City can be, Central Park has enough wooded acres
and little secluded bodies of water where they could take a camera crew and shoot a skit like this, and make it look like there's not a soul around for miles.
So my guess is this was where it was shot.

That must've been a nice arrangement. Shoot a few scenes that look like Bob's in some exotic locale, and in fact be only a few blocks away from the studio.

And be home in time for dinner!:big_grin:

I was actually fortunate enough to meet Bob last week. He was appearing at Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA. He sang a few songs, read a few stories, and closed his little show with "SING!", and everybody, from little toddlers to old coots like me, had a grin on their face from ear to ear.

Afterwards I got to meet him, get some autographs (now my first Sesame LP has his AND Susan's signatures!), take some pictures, and thank him for spending half his life being part of the Street.
He was VERY VERY VERY nice, and looks real good for a man in his seventies. He still has a twinkle in his eye and a permanent smile on his face, and he loved talking about the old days.

I asked him if there was any one skit that stood out in his mind, but to no avail. "Too many. But I remember all the times getting dressed up in costumes, and working with Oscar".

I bet he would enjoy reading about threads like this, seeing how big an impact he made on our young psyches.
Bob also acknowledges the October release date of the Sesame DVD box set, but couldn't give any specifics on what we may find. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Java

Reaction score
Well, at least some one actually "on the street" knows about the DVD set but it's a shame that he couldn't clue us in.

Thanks for trying!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I'm not sure exactly when this skit first aired. Let's say most likely when Jimmy Carter was president (1976-1980, you pick the year).

As crowded as New York City can be, Central Park has enough wooded acres
and little secluded bodies of water where they could take a camera crew and shoot a skit like this, and make it look like there's not a soul around for miles.
So my guess is this was where it was shot.

That must've been a nice arrangement. Shoot a few scenes that look like Bob's in some exotic locale, and in fact be only a few blocks away from the studio.

And be home in time for dinner!:big_grin:

I was actually fortunate enough to meet Bob last week. He was appearing at Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA. He sang a few songs, read a few stories, and closed his little show with "SING!", and everybody, from little toddlers to old coots like me, had a grin on their face from ear to ear.

Afterwards I got to meet him, get some autographs (now my first Sesame LP has his AND Susan's signatures!), take some pictures, and thank him for spending half his life being part of the Street.
He was VERY VERY VERY nice, and looks real good for a man in his seventies. He still has a twinkle in his eye and a permanent smile on his face, and he loved talking about the old days.

I asked him if there was any one skit that stood out in his mind, but to no avail. "Too many. But I remember all the times getting dressed up in costumes, and working with Oscar".

I bet he would enjoy reading about threads like this, seeing how big an impact he made on our young psyches.
Bob also acknowledges the October release date of the Sesame DVD box set, but couldn't give any specifics on what we may find. We'll just have to wait and find out.
Did you ever tell him about this site?