Ice Age: Blue Sky's Answer to Shrek?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sorry. Let's not turn this into another Weinstein bashing thread, okay?[/LEFT]
I don't see why we shouldn't. They've officially become WeinSIT because that's what they do best... sit their obese sorry butts on everything. A COMPLETED movie? One that was completed for over a year? I hope someone picks it up, and Weinstein goes completely under and someone else does the Fraggle movie.

Anyway...

A lot of these movies that most have never even heard of, and just as many who do know don't care, get new cheapquels without warning. Like Open Season 3 (when was there ever a number two, and did anyone even like number one?), and wasn't there a cheapquel to like Hoodwinked and Happily N'ever After?
Now, that's why I hate Sony. Ice Age was okay, Shrek was good, but there's nothing special enough about Open Season to make it their franchise. But hey, look at the other losers they have, a Penguin movie about surfing because Warner Bros. made a surfing movie, a movie based on a kid's book that completely dumped the concept for banality, and a nostalgia movie that completely dumped the concept for banality. Wasn't the second Open Season based entirely on the song "Who let the Dogs Out?" from 10 years ago that no one actually likes?

And there was a second Happily Ne'er After (you can tell how original that movie is... only 20,000,000 people used that title before) and it was all about Snow White. DTV as always.

These off brand studios I'm no fan of. I did like Igor and Despicable Me (needed more Mad Science, though). But when it comes to ugly crap like Space Chimps (which also got a cheapquel... wait... can we call it a cheapquel if it was cheap to begin with?), Fly me to the Moon, and Gnomeo and Gnomeitte (which gets even uglier, cheaper, stupider, brain warpinger with EVERY new advertisement), we don't need that crap, and no wonder people are complaining about how CGI has a choke hold on the movie industry.

Seriously, some of these films are so bad, even the illegal Brazillian copies of Disney movies look like instant timeless classics by comparison. Ratatoing deserves a theatrical release more than Gnomeo and I will vote for Fearless Leader (Snowth will get that).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
and I will vote for Fearless Leader (Snowth will get that).
They certainly enjoy their TV in the White House. :stick_out_tongue:

Okay, I just happened to think: on the subject of cheapquels and whatnot, what has become on this alleged sequel to Happy Feet? It didn't even come up into discussion until the whole controversy surrounding Britney Murphy's death, then they started saying, "Oh yeah, we fired her from reprising her role in Happy Feet 2, because we suspected she had a stinking drug problem"... then once her death died down, so did talks of the sequel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh no... it IS happening. Just don't know when yet. I WISH nothing happened to it...

Seems like, yes, there's gonna be a 4th Ice Age. Really... some studios REALLY need to know when to give it a rest.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But what's the sequel going to be about, though? Are Mumble and Gloria going to have babies (duh), and they all can dance just like their father (DUH), except for one of them who isn't sure about him/herself or what he/she wants to do in life (DUH)?

Already, the fact that it's a sequel makes it seem tremendously predictable... we first how the first movie ended, that pretty much sets up the plot for a sequel: babies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of movies just DON'T need a sequel. It took John Lassiter being in charge of the animated films department to get Disney to stop making DTV's... there were some good ones, but there were some terrible ones... and there were ones that could have used a sequel but were sequelled the WRONG WAY (Jungle Book 2).

Now, I never saw, nor care to ever see Happy Feet... and I do not understand how popular they considered the film to be to want a sequel.... meanwhile, poor Superman is going to wind up getting yet another reboot instead of sequelling that last one (especially since Batman Begins wasn't super duper successful, but TDK was a super smash hit... you never know with sequels).

But Ice Age definitely does NOT need a 4th movie. Anything else will just be predictable, redundant, and tiresome. They covered every single aspect... and if this is about the plates shifting out of Pangea... well, then it will be almost EXACTLY like the second movie. I mean, I like Sid and I like Scratt... but what more can they do? Scratt's done everything with that acorn except eat it by now. I never tire of Wile. E. Coyote failing to catch the Road Runner, sure... but I'm kinda losing interest in Scratt's acorns... and they're usually the best parts of the movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, the only thing they really can do with a 4th Ice Age movie is actually expand and develop on Diego, considering he basically just took up space in the third movie.

As for Scratt... they'll think of something, if not with that acorn, something like when they gave him a mate in the third movie, or having to put up with baby vultures in the second.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really felt like Diego WAS going to have a nice little plot about sitting around waiting to die, realizing that there's more life for him to live, but it was cut out because it made the movie run a minute over 90. Really, Diego had NO REASON to be in the third movie.

There's nothing they CAN do for a fourth movie except repeat the events of the second movie and add more characters. I'd much rather see a second Robots (their BEST movies, I think) than another Ice Age... I will say, the fourth Shrek was pretty good considering that they decided to end it there, and not go on to even more sequels (they were thinking in the ball park of 6 or 7 at one point). I mean, Ice Age is a pretty good series of movies, nothing ultra spectacular... but there's no call for it to turn into LBT and have a hundred sequels... at least those ones stayed on videos no one bothered to buy.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
They are making a Happy Feet 2?

Oh man *headdesk*

I guess they can't really make an already bad movie worse...never mind, I'm sure they would find a way. Happy Feet felt like it was trying to play off of March of the Penguin's surprising popularity. I felt like it didnt really have much of a point. Also, when Mumble is in the aquarium, are those real people put into the movie or were they CGI too? Because something about how they looked, compared to the rest of the movie, was extremely creepy.

On the subject of Ice Age, that was a movie they should not have made any sequels for. I still have not seen all of 2, I just can't make it through it. 3 felt...I dunno, thrown together for the sake of having a movie. And I'm glad its not just me who thinks that Diego had no real purpose for being in it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... and that even worse Surf's Up movie was to play off of Happy Feet.

Still, I wonder why everyone thinks that HF deserved a second film anyway... was it THAT popular? I forget did that win an undeserved Oscar for some reason? These off brand CGI movies... I mean, I've said it earlier in this thread, I liked Despicable Me, I liked Igor (though the forced happy ending kinda ruined it for me... I LOVE the dark macabre stuff they had in that film), but everyone thinks that just because Dreamworks makes them, everyone has to make bad CGI kiddy films. And what's worse, they all feel they need a franchise picture because Shrek and Toy Story did it. And TS was kinda forced into a sequel by Disney the first time, and goaded into making one out of spite (Disney threatened to make their own, we all should know that by now) for the third.

I hate Sony's CGI nonsense with a passion... what they did to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a crime, and I'm not thrilled with the direction they took the Smurfs (You DON'T have to make another Chipmunk style movie)... but what the heck was so special about Open Season it has to have 3 movies?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Gnomeo and Juliet got a sequel too, since it was literally the ONLY family film in theaters at the time and became a surprise hit. Really... maybe they could make the second one a bXXXXstardized King Lear where everyone lives at the end and dances to some other crummy pop music. it makes kids like Shakespeare! I totally remember the scene in Julius Caesar where Marc Antony gives that heartfelt speech, "Friends! Romans! Country men! Let's get KRUNK in da CLUB! Say Hello to muh little FRENNNN! No one leaves Julius Caesar in the corner" yeah, I'm never going to let that go, am I? But that's EXACTLY what half of that crap amounts to.

An Ice Age sequel I have no problem with, but a series of Land Before Time-esque films? No thank you. There is literally nothing left for the characters to do... continents breaking up will amount to the same storyline as the second one, Diego will go underused and basically be in the film to be in the film... Buck will come back and it will be forced (though I admit, Buck's the ONLY good thing about the third one)... I love Sid and Scratt, but they've done all they could... it's not clever anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth one happens.