IDW to publish Rocky and Bullwinkle Comics in 2014

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. They've got a license for everything! First CN classics, now something even better .

I wonder if they'll republish any of the classic Rocky and Bullwinkle comics from Gold Key or the 80's series from Marvel as well. But brand new Bullwinkle Comics? You can't beat that with a stick.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is most interesting, however, the article contradicts itself, as first, it says we'll start seeing these new comics later this fall, then it says we won't start seeing them till 2014, so I'm kind of confused.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess fall is when they start work on them?

Don't see why they made that big confusing.

I'd imagine, like every other movie that ever comes out when a comic book does, they'll have some sort of lead in movie prequel series for Peabody and Sherman before the real comics take off...

or something

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if these comics will just have Rocky and Bullwinkle stories, or if they'll be broken down into multiple segments like on the show. I think Bullwinkle would lend itself well to the four-issue storyarc format, maybe two Bullwinkle stories and issue and a supporting segment or two, maybe even a one-page Bullwinkles Corner/Mr. Know-It-All.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'm going to have to look out for thsese. I've been watching them on VH1 latey. One of the first (to me) like a soap opera show. I know it's more like the older radio shows but with me i would tell my mom (who watched All My Children) this was like my soap opera.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if these comics will just have Rocky and Bullwinkle stories, or if they'll be broken down into multiple segments like on the show. I think Bullwinkle would lend itself well to the four-issue storyarc format, maybe two Bullwinkle stories and issue and a supporting segment or two, maybe even a one-page Bullwinkles Corner/Mr. Know-It-All.
They'll probably be broken down into different segments. Every Bullwinkle comic book has been. Marvel managed to make ever story a 2 parter concluded in a single issue (to get the most out of the famous multiple choice titles), one Mr. Know it all or Poetry corner, and either Dudley Do-Right , a Fractured Fairy Tale, or Peabody and Sherman. Almost mimicking the show format. The lone Gold Key issue I have had everything, but the comics were much shorter and they had an 8 panel page format instead of the usual 6.

Now, what I want to know, do they have the rights for George of the Jungle and Super Chicken. It would be great to see those interspersed with the Bullwinkle stories, just like the unrealized "New Bullwinkle Show" was supposed to be like.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I'd like to see Roger Langridge do a Rocky & Bullwinkle comic. He's sort of becoming the go-to guy for comic book revivals of classic kids' franchises (The Muppet Show, Popeye).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems he's over and done with Popeye. There was no next issue preview in issue 12. I really hope this series has a lot of different artists and writers working on it.

I know Roger has an upcoming short story in an Adventure Time annual. I really want to see his take on that one.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
It seems he's over and done with Popeye. There was no next issue preview in issue 12. I really hope this series has a lot of different artists and writers working on it.

I know Roger has an upcoming short story in an Adventure Time annual. I really want to see his take on that one.
I REALLY wish he'd come back to Marvel and DC, but I have tremendous respect for his integrity in deciding he won't work for them due to the way they treat creators. I met him at the 2012 Baltimore Comic-Con. Nice guy.

Anyway, if the Rocky & Bullwinkle comic is able to capture the fun and creativity of the original show, I'm on board. I'd like to see a separate Peabody & Sherman spinoff comic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Gold Key and Marvel ones did. Comics are becoming more and more like lost episodes of a series now. They used to be merchandise that sometimes got it right, sometimes got it wrong. But now, they're treated like media, as they should be. Of all the media licensed comics I read (and they're basically the only comics I really read), they've all been true to character lately.

As I said in the IDW gets the CN license thread, I really hope that Rocky and Bullwinkle get involved in one of IDW's massive crossover events like Infestation or Mars Attacks. I really like how Popeye got a Mars Attacks special issue. Kinda disappointed the Ponies didn't get one. I'd actually buy that one.