"If I ran the Muppets" thread. Post YOUR good ideas HERE!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And now for soem Muppet Treasure Island PVCs:

Set 1:
Captain Smollet
Benjamina Gunn (petting Flubere)
Gonzo
Rizzo
Mad Monty
Clueless Morgan

Set 2:
Squire Trelawny
Polly Lobster
Dr. Livesey
Beaker
Blind Pew
Samuel Arrow

Set 3:
Kermit (in white shirt)
Tour Rats
Sweetums
Old Tom
Real Old Tom
Dead Tom

spcglider

Reaction score
Having worked with a video game company, I came up with several Muppet-based ideas for video games. The publishers balked because they thought the licensing rights would have been too expensive. But the ideas I had were things very much in line with what you suggested. My take on the haunted theatre idea was "Escape From Muppet Labs!" wherein a robotic version of Beaker goes berzerk just before a slumber party at Muppet Labs. When Kermit shows up lat for the party, he discovers the door open and nobody around. He has to follow clues to find the rest of the Muppets who are being held or trapped elsewhere in the Muppet Labs. In order to free them, he must accomplish a,b,c task. Very much like the old Lucasarts game "Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis" in game-play. Examine your environment, figure out what you can affect, get the proper sequence, and move on to the next play screen.

I also wrote up a treatment for "Mad Muppet Racer" wherein you could choose a character from the stock of characters (with their particular car) and trick it out. Then you'd be racing on a track that randomly changes shape (thanks to Dr. Bunsen's track randmizer) every so often jut so it doesn't get too boring. You could drive Kermit's Leapfrog Lamborghini, or Rowlf's Rhapsody Racer, Fozzie's Funky Flivver, etc. Each car would have a function like Kermit's car could hop over other cars. Animal would drive by and take bites out of your car. Fozzie could lay down banana "oil slicks". And the list goes on....

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
You see? There ARE people here with ideas.

MORE!! MORE!!!

-G

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, back in 1994, there was some kind of contest at McDonald's regarding Sega Genesis. I forget the whole terms of the contest, but I believe that fans could fill out a form, suggesting an idea for a video game, and I think that idea would be made. So I filled a form, titling my game Escape from Muppet Theater. At the time I didn't realise that video game companies wouldn't take suggestions based on copyrighted characters (in case the copyright owners turned down the idea). My idea back then would be for players to play as either Kermit or Fozzie, and escape from the Muppet Theater, which would have been haunted. I think I was going to have the other characters be hypnotized and therefore be evil (like in the Tiny Toons game for Sega Genesis).

Here is another idea for Muppet shorts: Each short could begin with Kermit appearing in front of a red curtain, introducing the short (other characters cna occassionally introduce it instead). The curtain could raise, revealing a title card (and maybe also credit the Mupepts who star in the film). And either before or after the ending credits, Statler and Waldorf can appear in their balcony to comment on the short.

Here is an idea for Muppets From Space PVC sets:

Set 1:
Kermit (in pajamas)
Gonzo (in tinfoil)
Rizzo (excersizing on mouse trap)
Pepe (in ballerina attire)
Miss Piggy (with microphone and mind mist)
Invisible Fozzie with rubber duckie

Set 2:
Ubergonzo
Kermit (in painters clothes)
Animal
Pepe
Bubba the Rat
Gonzo (in pajamas)

I would also schedule a two-hour Muppet block on either The Disney Channel or ABC Family. It would be broadcast from 5-7 p.m. on weekdays. This would be the average schedule:

Monday-Friday:
5pm: The Muppet Show
5:30pm: Muppet Babies

Mondays:
6pm: a Muppet music video show, hosted by Dr. Teeth, and featuring music video-style numbers featuring th Muppets, and occassionally with celebrities. Interviews with Muppets and celebrities alike would also be featured. Sometimes Dr. Teeth would give the interview, but other characters would also give interviews, including Pepe, Floyd, Janice, Rowlf, Scooter, and Clifford.
6:30pm: Muppets Tonight

Tuesdays:
6pm: a movie parodies show, featuring a variety of different Muppets in different parodies.

Wednesdays:
6:stick_out_tongue:m: a Muppet special

Thursday:
6pm: a do-it-yourself show starring Scooter, who teaches viewers how to do things. The show would also include regular appearances by Rowlf, Beauregard, Bobo, Robin, and Bean Bunny. Other characters would make occassional appearances.

Friday:
6pm: a Miss Piggy detective show, based on the unproduced books that were planned in 1990. Miss Piggy would be a detective, accompanied by her dog, Foo-Foo. Additoonal cast members would include Fozzie Bear as Patrol Bear, Link Hogthrob as patrol cheif, Bean Bunny as a newspaper boy (I don't know how to describe this job, but a stereotypical kids role from 1930s-era gangster filsm, with the kid on a street corner holding out papers, saying "Extra! Extra!"), and Andy and Randy Pig, who often ruin Miss Piggy's plans with their stupidity. Various Muppets appear in the roles of villians (villians include Uncle Deadley, Sweetums, Lew Zeland, Crazy Harry, and even The Electric Mayhem).
6:30pm: The Jim Henson Hour (MuppeTelevision segments)

Every other Saturday night would be a broadcast of a Muppet movie.

spcglider

Reaction score
Wow. That's agressive programming. Though not unappreciated! :smile:

-G

MrsPepper

Reaction score
If I were Disney and I ran the Muppets, I would throw the rulebook out the window and have a big convention; with the Muppets, Sesame Street, AND Fraggle Rock (and other Henson products). I mean, if FARSCAPE has conventions with lots of people, so can we.

As the Disney person in charge, I would agree to work with these companies and put together a big huge convention with performers, another Muppet Show Live (because I would love to see that), panels, whatever they do at conventions. It would be really unexpected (Disney didn't even let Henson keep the 5-odd minutes of Kermit in Emmet Otter, for crying out loud) and fans would really appreciate it.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
This thread proves that Muppet Central has quite the collection of incredibly talented individuals. Hope Disney is paying attention. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh, yeah... If I ran the Muppets, I would give The Jim Henson Company to continue distributing anything that it has with the Muppets that are owned by Disney. I believe that Sesame Workshop already has this privledge.

Elchippo

Reaction score
I had been thinking about this sort of topic recently! Glad to see there is a thread for it.....
.....Okay, since Disney has control of the Muppets, it is probably best and most realistic to think from that perspective.....

The key to pushing any product is marketing and overall exposure. The random guest appearances on TV shows and commercials that they still sometimes do would be the best first step, but even more than they are doing now. Commercials and TV guest spots is largely how the Muppets gained their initial success and is a perfect way to launch their renaissance. And not always just Kermit,Piggy or Pepe. People spend a lot of time in front of the TV and they need something on there to remind them of the Muppets at least once every day.

Next, bring back Muppet Show re-runs on television! The DVDs did well and nostalgia sells. Broadcast at a time when it is convenient to watch and doesn't face a lot of competition-Weekends on Disney Channel or even latenight ABC might work...

The next step: new TV specials. Smaller, low budget, half hour or hour ones, not feature length TV movies, because TV movies will always have that stigma of being not good enough for theatres and are too costly anyways. Specials like they used to do- think Hey Cindrella, Frog Prince or Family Christmas type of things. Could air initially on ABC and then numerous repeat airings on Disney Channel to follow. (Or does Disney Channel just play all their lame original shows on a continuous loop? Cuz thats what it seems like.) The reason all those lame Disney shows do well is because they play constantly and almost control kids. Whatever Disney dictatesto them to watch is what they'll watch.

Merchandise. Play the vintage/nostalgia angle. Stores like Hot Topic make a killing off of selling retro merchandise to young kids who don't even remember the characters they're wearing (Goonies, etc.). Don't sell "Collectors Item" type products-most Muppet fans don't have that kind of money (I should know). The Palisades figures, Sideshow busts, PhotoKermit, etc. All that stuff is impractical. Sell T-shirts, stuffed animals-more accessible, fun merchandise, not just nice expensive stuff that sits on a shelf. And the more Muppet DVDs that get released, the better.

Theme parks-Keep pushing the Muppets to the forefront. Don't let Pixar hog the spotlight. The automatic Bunsen/Beaker puppet they've got tooling around now is a good start. Muppets 3-d still packs them in. Might also consider finding a quiet little area in MGM and play Muppet Show episodes on a continuous loop (like the old Main sT. Cinema). People would enjoy visiting that on hot, crowded days.

Movies-okay, if all that works, it may be safe to consider another feature. I really like the thought of the shorts that some people suggested......if they do want to try a feature, they need a director along the lines of Frank Oz or John Landis-and it needs to be true and honest. An original story probably, rooted in modern sensibilities but not too cynical. Perhaps a Blues Brothers "getting the group back together" type of story.....sort of The Muppet Movie, 30 years later. They are older, some are retired, and don't want to get back into it again, and it takes Kermit to convince them to get together one last time or something. I think I suggested a similar idea in an older thread. And it needs the Disney marketing bonanza behind it. Although the Muppets have never really been gone, throw in a lot of "They're back!" type of statements into the advertising-make it seem like an event not to be missed! Put in celebrity cameos,but GOOD celebrity cameos, not David Arquette yet again. Look at the stars they had in The Muppet Movie-which were all prominently featured on the posters! And have Paul Williams write the music.

Okay, those are my ideas. Whaddaya think?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Elchippo said:
Merchandise. Play the vintage/nostalgia angle. Stores like Hot Topic make a killing off of selling retro merchandise to young kids who don't even remember the characters they're wearing (Goonies, etc.). Don't sell "Collectors Item" type products-most Muppet fans don't have that kind of money (I should know). The Palisades figures, Sideshow busts, PhotoKermit, etc. All that stuff is impractical. Sell T-shirts, stuffed animals-more accessible, fun merchandise, not just nice expensive stuff that sits on a shelf. And the more Muppet DVDs that get released, the better.
I have had this idea months ago... Release shirts with stills from The Muppet Show and movies, along with memorable quotes. Like a shirt with the Muppets on top of the Mallory Gallery, saying "We've gotta catch those thieves red-handed", and below that, "What color are their hands now?" Or have a picture of Fozzie, witht he caption "A bear in his natural habitat... A studebaker!"

One good idea: Have The Muppet Show air three times a day for two or three weeks. One showing would be in the mornign (during pre-school hours), another would be in the afternoon/ evening, and the other would be around midnight. Then review the ratings, and drop two of the showings and just show it during the tme that it gets the best ratings!