If Jim was still around, what advice would he give for young filmmakers, media business, etc

mupcollector1

Reaction score
One of the many things that I admire about Jim Henson was his business sense. He was a really hard worker, worked long hours and just a idea machine coming up with a bunch of ideas and trying to pitch stuff endlessly. Also when he was making movies and stuff, most directors would get ticked off and start yelling, shouting, insulting and even firing people. Jim never raised his voice hardly ever in anger and was really patient about things.

Like many creative people who are on this forum, Jim Henson is my #1 hero. I read "It's not easy being green and other things to consider" when I need the inspiration, have a few copy machine copies of some pages for my wall and I go visit Jim's Red Book every single day. (I really want that release in October). Anyway I'm a young filmmaker who writes comedy, animation and puppetry and I'm trying to break into the industry.

And as many people said in the industry that it's really really tough, I watch behind the scenes footage of people working on indie films and just having arguments and fights on who's doing what job. And even just recently I was making animations for a close friend of mine who we promised each other to help each other get into the industry and recently he's been kind of a jerk and is iqnoring me for no reason at all.

So life is kind of rough for me as a filmmaker but The Muppets and Jim Henson's quotes always make me smile and feel much better and quickly energized to start going back to work.

I've been watching Lloyd Kaufman's Make your own D(arn) Movie and reading his books and just watching footage of him stressing out on his sets.

I'm just thinking if Jim Henson was still around, and came up with a DVD set like that for young filmmakers, what would he say and teach.

Jim taught lots of lectures from time to time at colleges in the 80s right? Was it mainly TV puppetry or did he teach film making also?

One more thing that I liked about Jim is his interest in technology and the future of the media. In interviews he was talking about the future of Cable TV back in 1982, and pretty much the future of small handycam cameras in 1990 which almost 20 years later was YouTube.

Anyway, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the subject. What would Jim give to advice to young filmmakers or even stuff he said in rare interviews and stuff.

I still can't believe it's been 22 years since his passing, I would have loved to meet him and just sit down and talk about how to get into the industry and things like that. :smile: