1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

If Muppets were played by real actors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlittleMayhem, Aug 29, 2012.

1. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

So I was scrolling through my tumblr dash this morning, when this pops up!

http://muppetmayhem.tumblr.com/post/30421009255/live-journal-entry-my-brother-and-i-watching-letters

I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it here.

Personally, most of the list I felt kinda "whatever". Robin Williams (whom I love) I can imagine as Gonzo with the comedy and heart of the character, but I feel he's not weird enough. Jason Marson as Robin is quite amusing and, while Angelina Jolie has the lips as Janice, she'll probably not have the personality.

But by far the best one, at least for me, is Bill Nighly as Zoot! C'mon, think about it! Give him a hat, shades and a sax and he'd be perfect!

So what do you think? Agree with the list? Anything you want to add? Or do you have your own list? Come on, don't be shy!

2. Vincent L

Vincent L Well-Known Member

Is it "Jason Marsden" or "Jason Marson"?

3. Vincent L

Vincent L Well-Known Member

I think Gene Wilder should fit right in.

4. AlittleMayhem

Sorry, James Marsden. Spelling error.

Gene Widler is definatly a muppet, but which one? :search:

5. anytimepally

anytimepally Well-Known Member

Obviously Robert Duvall is Pops.

The choice for Pepe is awful in that blog post.

6. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

John Hodgeman as Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. Don't ask me why, that's just the first person that came to mind.

Daniel

7. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Steve Buscemi as Pepe...........no. Just no. A lot of the choices in that blog post are just mehhh or pathetic, in my opinion.

If someone was really going to have Muppets played by real live actors, I'm just going to say this right now.....................
    ADAM PASCAL FOR FLOYD PEPPER!!!!!! :sing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Pascal

8. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Here are my personal "real Muppet casting" picks:
    take them as you will...

Kermit - David Duchovny (or Ewan McGregor)
    Piggy – Kirsty Alley
    Gonzo - Adrien Brody
    Fozzie - Eric Stonestreet
    Animal- Dave Grohl
    Dr. Teeth - Elton John
    Zoot - Slash
    Floyd - Tom Petty
    Janice – Gwen Stefani
    Pepe - Cheech Marin
    Scooter - Andrew Garfield (or Justin Long)
    Rowlf - Zach Galifinakis
    Rizzo - Steve Buscemi
    Robin - Elijah Wood
    Statler- Steve Martin
    Waldorf – Billy Crystal
    Sam – Kelsey Grammer
    Bunsen- Martin Short
    Beaker- Paul Reubens
    Sweetums- John Goodman
    Walter – Ryan Dosier

9. MissMusical12

Even I'll agree, Steve Buscemi would probably make a better Rizzo than Pepe.

jvcarroll likes this.
  10. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

--------------
    Eh...I like some of those picks, Jamie, but I have to disagree: Duchovny is simply NOT expressive enough facially to play Kermit. I cannot ever picture him doing a scrunchy mouth!! Though I'd have to give it a lot of thought to say who SHOULD take that role.

I do like Buscemi as Rizzo, though. And Slash as Zoot...they talk about as much...

Kirstie Alley has already TRIED (and failed) to play Piggy, on "Cheers."

Elijah Wood I can definitely see as Robin.

I vote Steve Carrell as Beauregard. Jorge Garcia as Thog. I honestly can't come up with a good casting for Newsie, though...
    --------------

jvcarroll likes this.
  11. jvcarroll

Kermit is just so hard to peg. I know Segel thinks of him as a Tom Hanks, but I disagree. Kermit has both a quiet grace and an specific zaniness just underneath the surface.

12. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Well said. Actually, Steve Carrell MIGHT be able to pull it off. Depends on the Piggy.

------------

13. jvcarroll

I thought Kirstie Alley was great in Cheers. She's funny and she has the attitude down, but I'm not sure if she embodies enough Piggy as a whole. I like Steve Carrell sometimes. That could maybe work. It might not make sense, but I see Kermit a little younger.

14. anytimepally

anytimepally Well-Known Member

Elijah Wood is way too old to be Robin. Robin would have to be played by a kid.

15. Misskermie

Misskermie Well-Known Member

Yes, but there aren't that many good hearted child actors out there, huh?

jvcarroll and MissMusical12 like this.
  16. MissMusical12

Especially the ones from Disney Channel......-shudders- :eek: Maybe they would get some unknown kid who's done Broadway so he has some acting experience (And yes, I am well aware film is different than stage) (Best bet would be Mary Poppins or Newsies) to do Robin.

Misskermie likes this.
  17. ProboSowa

ProboSowa Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of film so I can't set out whole casts, but I could see Wilford Brimley as Waldorf just from looks.

18. AlittleMayhem

I kinda agree with anytimepally that Elijah Wood would be too old for Robin now, but if he were younger, he'd be great!

I love the ideas of Steve Martin and Billy Crystal as Statler and Waldorf, Martin Short and Paul Reubuns as Bunsen and Beaker and Kesley Grammer as Sam. I think in one Empire issue, Eric Stonestreet said he relates to Fozzie. I don't know, I may be thinking of another actor...

Adrian Brody as Gonzo?! C'mon! You're just saying that because they have the same nose!

Pardon me for being ignorant, but what does everyone have against Steve Buscemi as Pepe? I honestly don't know who he is, so please enlighten me on how he would be the wrong choice.

19. MissMusical12

All I know is Steve was Randall in "Monsters Inc." and Templeton in the newer version of "Charlotte's Web." (The one with Dakota Fanning)

20. AlittleMayhem

Ooooh, him! Well, in that case, yeah, he would make a better Rizzo. Lol!

jvcarroll likes this.