If they did make a new Muppet Show what would like it to be like?

Ignatz

Reaction score
I was thinking about if Disney did create a new Muppets TV show what it would be like. When The Muppet Show was made variety shows were very popular and numerous, but now they seem to have all but died out. It seems like they me be pushing the idea as their was news speculation about it and the Muppets Comedy Galla seemed to follow the old Muppet Show formula pretty closely, maybe testing out the waters to see what response they'd get for that format.
Do you think modern viewers seeing a show that is a behind the scenes look at a variety show understand what they were referencing?
Do you think modern audiences would become bored with a variety show format or not like it today?
Do you think it should just become a normal sitcom narrative show? or a sketch show?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
If they were going to try a sitcom-narrative show, I'd like it to have a season-long plot or theme to tie it together, like "the Muppets try to develop a Broadway show" or "the Muppets star in a Las Vegas revue". That way there would be ample opportunity for musical numbers as well as a way to build upon things throughout the season. However, I think a variety show format could work well with the Muppets again, since they always fooled around with it during the original run, doing stuff like running two sketches at once and commenting on the show as it ran.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
i would love to see a new show but right now they are working on the movie and whatever they have planned

Aaron

Reaction score
I really think a straight TMS relaunch would do well. Yes, varriety shows are not commonplace anymore but this would be a setting familiar to the audience that would feel like a homecoming. It would allow them the freedom to do everything that would want to do and would be easy to integrate guests into.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I think the original format should be relaunched. Even if variety shows have died out, it'll at least be different from everything else on TV. Though I wouldn't mind a sitcom-type show, either. Though the backstage plots more or less covered a sitcom-type format. One thing that I really want to see is a chance for the characters to grow more. We got to see Bunsen and Beaker grow a bit towards the end of MT, and personally, I'd love to see that happen with other characters.

Ignatz

Reaction score
I like the idea of a variety show format but have more made of the backstage story, sort of like 30 Rock. Something along that lines I think would be easier for a modern audience. Also I think maybe if they are going to have a stab at a new series perhaps they could have a series of specials in the format to work out if they want to go fully with the series idea. The specials could been sort of like the old Muppet Show formats but with multiple celebrity guests. And I don't think I'm delusional in thinking that audiences wouldn't go for the variety format, there are a lot of people who say they don't like musical because they don't like characters suddenly singing or they don't like black and white films. I really hope that if they do make a new series that they keep some of the aspects of the variety show in there especially the singing as I felt the music was one of the most important parts of the Muppets.

Hubert

Reaction score
I agree with having the original format. The awesome thing about that is that it doesn't get old. You can always bring in new modern guest stars and add in some more modern songs...the format will always work no matter what time period.