If you could go back to your time in college, what would you change?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So, this is a similar discussion I saw on Reddit.

For me, I would probably just leave after associate's. The stress of bachelor classes being offered every other quarter, too many audio classes, and some classes that can pretty much ruin your education plan (*cough* the freelance classes *cough*).

Either that, or probably go to Fitchburg State College instead (mom went there) to take just video production alone. Plus, at least you would get more time to let your mind relax after you worked hard.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There is just one professor, I had one semester for two different classes.
If I knew then what a complete nightmare he would've been, I'd taken somebody else's class instead of his.

But apart from that, there's not much else I would've changed. Very happy with my four years of college, very happy with the school, graduated debt-free, what more could I ask for?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never went to college, and hearing what friends and peers had to say about their time in college, I regret nothing.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
There is just one professor, I had one semester for two different classes.
If I knew then what a complete nightmare he would've been, I'd taken somebody else's class instead of his.
Ah yeah, that's always the worst, especially since back in the day ratemyprofessor didn't exist. I'm always quick to check when registering for classes (though sadly, sometimes I would not have a choice).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I never went to college, and hearing what friends and peers had to say about their time in college, I regret nothing.
College is definitely a huge choice, for sure. I always say if you want to go, definitely go because you want to major in something. If you just want to go as an excuse to party then I can't say you'll last long.

A friend of mine in my very first year of college at Landmark in Putney, VT had that attitude and pretty much was forced to leave by midterms. Some of my friends were shocked, which I thought was kinda stupid cause I pretty much saw it coming.

Though in all honesty, this is someone I rarely talk to anymore and his life right now is just going no where.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've heard too many stories from people (including some here) who have said they went to college to study in their chosen career paths, hoping that having a degree, or a masters, or a diploma, or whatever would help pave the way for them to find work in their chosen field . . . and still can't get work in their chosen field, thus rendering their years in college a complete waste of time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but true.

There's also the instance where it turns out the field isn't as hot as it turned out to be.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
The one thing I would change is choosing the Business concentration of my major rather than the Biology concentration. In my sophomore year, I failed Algebra and Chemistry and I found out during the Christmas break. What a present that was! *Sarcasm* I hated that I failed, easily one of the worst days of my life! I felt like I let my family down. After I got back, I got put on Academic Probation, no extra curricular activities. But I guess it was for the best, but I wasn’t happy at the time.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
When I go to college I think I wanna go to an art's school. I love drawing, animation, film, and puppeteering. Even if I end up losing a lot of money, those are the fields i've always wanted to be in and that hasn't changed. Not to mention, it could be an amazing experience/ opportunity to be around other creative people like me.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe thirty years have changed my perspective.
College was supposed to be the final step to prepare you for the demands of the adult world. It meant hard work, discipline, and sometimes cutthroat competition to land that plum job at a big company. Once you were hired at IBM, Merrill Lynch, or wherever, the idea was to work there 40 years and retire with a gold watch and a fat pension.

Preparing you for adult life, hard work and discipline? A few years in the military can accomplish the same goal.

It seems now at college, rather than prepare you for real life, colleges seem to want to shelter you from it.
Your favorite show got cancelled? No worries. We'll give you a safe zone, give you hot chocolate and a cookie, and tuck you in bed tonight.

If you think that will give you a strong enough backbone to survive in today's world...you might be sadly mistaken.

But you didn't hear that from this fuzzy old coot who's old enough to be your parents.