1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

If you could go back to your time in college, what would you change?

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by LittleJerry92, Sep 23, 2017.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

So, this is a similar discussion I saw on Reddit.

For me, I would probably just leave after associate's. The stress of bachelor classes being offered every other quarter, too many audio classes, and some classes that can pretty much ruin your education plan (*cough* the freelance classes *cough*).

Either that, or probably go to Fitchburg State College instead (mom went there) to take just video production alone. Plus, at least you would get more time to let your mind relax after you worked hard.

2. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

There is just one professor, I had one semester for two different classes.
    If I knew then what a complete nightmare he would've been, I'd taken somebody else's class instead of his.

But apart from that, there's not much else I would've changed. Very happy with my four years of college, very happy with the school, graduated debt-free, what more could I ask for?

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I never went to college, and hearing what friends and peers had to say about their time in college, I regret nothing.

4. LittleJerry92

Ah yeah, that's always the worst, especially since back in the day ratemyprofessor didn't exist. I'm always quick to check when registering for classes (though sadly, sometimes I would not have a choice).

5. LittleJerry92

College is definitely a huge choice, for sure. I always say if you want to go, definitely go because you want to major in something. If you just want to go as an excuse to party then I can't say you'll last long.

A friend of mine in my very first year of college at Landmark in Putney, VT had that attitude and pretty much was forced to leave by midterms. Some of my friends were shocked, which I thought was kinda stupid cause I pretty much saw it coming.

Though in all honesty, this is someone I rarely talk to anymore and his life right now is just going no where.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've heard too many stories from people (including some here) who have said they went to college to study in their chosen career paths, hoping that having a degree, or a masters, or a diploma, or whatever would help pave the way for them to find work in their chosen field . . . and still can't get work in their chosen field, thus rendering their years in college a complete waste of time.

7. LittleJerry92

It's unfortunate, but true.

There's also the instance where it turns out the field isn't as hot as it turned out to be.

8. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

The one thing I would change is choosing the Business concentration of my major rather than the Biology concentration. In my sophomore year, I failed Algebra and Chemistry and I found out during the Christmas break. What a present that was! *Sarcasm* I hated that I failed, easily one of the worst days of my life! I felt like I let my family down. After I got back, I got put on Academic Probation, no extra curricular activities. But I guess it was for the best, but I wasn’t happy at the time.

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

When I go to college I think I wanna go to an art's school. I love drawing, animation, film, and puppeteering. Even if I end up losing a lot of money, those are the fields i've always wanted to be in and that hasn't changed. Not to mention, it could be an amazing experience/ opportunity to be around other creative people like me.

fuzzygobo likes this.
  10. fuzzygobo

Maybe thirty years have changed my perspective.
    College was supposed to be the final step to prepare you for the demands of the adult world. It meant hard work, discipline, and sometimes cutthroat competition to land that plum job at a big company. Once you were hired at IBM, Merrill Lynch, or wherever, the idea was to work there 40 years and retire with a gold watch and a fat pension.

Preparing you for adult life, hard work and discipline? A few years in the military can accomplish the same goal.

It seems now at college, rather than prepare you for real life, colleges seem to want to shelter you from it.
    Your favorite show got cancelled? No worries. We'll give you a safe zone, give you hot chocolate and a cookie, and tuck you in bed tonight.

If you think that will give you a strong enough backbone to survive in today's world...you might be sadly mistaken.

But you didn't hear that from this fuzzy old coot who's old enough to be your parents.

LittleJerry92 and Pig's Laundry like this.
  11. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Nope, but I might've heard it from the old coots who are my parents. ;)

12. LittleJerry92

I can tell you that perfectly describes my first college Landmark. My second/one I graduated from (New England Tech) really prepares you for the real world.

The issue with the former is how politically correct it is - it gets to a point where enough is enough, even if it is a learning disabled college.

And on an unrelated subject, I find safe spaces stupid. Sure, it is good to have a spot where you can be alone with your thoughts for a while, but at the same time, it shouldn't be something to use to run away from your problems all the time, and that's something Landmark unfortunately suffers from. If you're being bullied, stand up for yourself. If you have mental health problems, seek some help. If you're stressed out, find something to keep your mind off it. Running away from your problems makes it worse.

13. fuzzygobo

I took a few night courses at the Joe Kubert Art School. (Dover, NJ)
    If that's really your passion, go for it. Classes are very small, usually no more than ten students. Very one-on-one contact with the professor. This is for students especially geared for wanting to draw comics. One course (and the corresponding textbook) is called "How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way".

But if that is your dream, get ready to work hard. It's a three year course, but it really doesn't allow you much of a social life. You'll be spending a lot of late nights drawing. And drawing. And drawing.
    Having a job is out of the question. They want you for three years, and for the next three years, this is your life. A good third of the students drop out, but if you're determined enough, when you graduate, you can pretty much write your own ticket.

It could help make a few of your dreams come true, but you're going to work like you can't believe.

The night courses were not quite as intense (but I still drew into the wee hours of the morning). The professors will still tell you your first few homework assignments look like garbage. So be ready. You need to have thick skin going in. If criticism hurts, you'll never be able to make a career out of drawing.
    I don't want to discourage you from following your dreams, but just want to inject a little reality in there.