If you could teach a Muppet class...

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Hey I just thought of this and thought it might be a fun thread.

I'd say that pretty much everyone on this board considers him-or-herself a Muppet expert. So, the question is, if you could teach a Muppet class for one semester, what would you teach it on?

For instance, would you like to teach a subject on the music of The Muppet Show? The different educational methods of the early Sesame Street years vs. the ones they use today? General Muppet History? Maybe you want to go really deep and study the religious allegories in Fraggle Rock. Basically what do you think you're most qualified to teach AND what you think would be fun and stimulating.

Try to make it like a real class summary, but only as detailed as you want it to be. For those of you not yet in college, here's an example:

Utopia of Fraggle Rock: How a children's television show manages to create the ideal society

In this class, students will study the societal structure of the Fraggles, the Doozers and the Gorgs and how they interconnect. We will mark the changes and adaptations they make throughout the four seasons. How does each group relate to each other? How do they relate within?

Obviously it doesn't have to be as heady as that, that was just the first thing that came to mind. Have fun with it--list required readings or episodes or films. What I think is really cool about this is that a bunch of people might want to teach about The Muppet Show, but one wants to concentrate specifically on guest stars, another on backstage chaos, someone else on the music hall numbers... The options are endless!

And if you think of a class you wouldn't want to teach yourself, still throw it out there. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it's fun coming up with little ideas.

Start coming up with some! I've got to take a moment to think...

:smile::excited::big_grin:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I would love to take the course about Fraggles that you came up with!:smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Sounds like fun! I choose to teach:

Muppet History 101 (I chose a beginner class because even though I'm pretty good, I know that there are people who know more than me.)

This class will begin with vewings of some of the surviving episodes of Sam and Friends. Following will be a brief look at some of the guest appearances by Jim Henson and some of the muppets on variety and talk shows of the 1960's, and, where rellivant, the business relationships formed during that time which would come in handy later during Sesame Street and the Muppet Show. Following, or maybe before this, would be an overview of the commercials for various products that Jim Henson made in the 1950's and early 1960's, and a mention of the more recent muppet commercials. Next will be a detailed examination of the Childrens' Television Workshop's collaboration with the Jim Henson company to create Sesame Street. Next will be a brief look at some of the intermitant projects such as Tales From Muppetland, followed by the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock in slightly more detail. Next is Jim's last TV show, The Jim Henson Hour, and a discussion of his achevements in technology seen in that, Muppet Vision 3D, and other ventures. The course will end with discussions on the changes that were made since Jim Henson's death, including the devision of the company. At some point during the course, possibly towards the end, there will be a discussion of the occurances of certain characters changing hands, along with the various reasons. Also, during each period of history discussed and where ever it applies, we will be sure to mention any new preformers to join the company. As in many history classes, there will also be periodic discussions of current events among the muppets and members of the companies.

A bit wordy, and not quite as elequent as Sarah's, but there you have it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea! You could also mention about Henson related products that the creature show was involved in. I guess you could also have a class about the cultural impact that they've and on are society as well as the world for the last fifty years also. Just some suggestions.:smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The Great Gonzo: Deep Philosopher or Crazy Nut?

In this class students analyze the many appearances of The Great Gonzo as he progressed throughout the years as they attempt to form their own hypothoses about his mental status and philosophical meanings. Are his acts tied closely to Socrates' teachings? Does his never say die (no matter how many bones you break) attitude derive from the work of Aristotle? Through this class, students will try and disect The Great Gonzo's mind (which he very much enjoys) to come up with their own theories on the big-nosed marvel. Teacher? Or deranged alien stunt man with an off the chart tolerance level? You decide!

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Foreign Accents and Dialect

The class does an in-depth study of Muppets with heavy accents, as well as comprehending and speaking multiple dialects. Muppets included in this study: Beaker, Swedish Chef, Pepe the King Prawn, Count von Count, and others.

Recommended for this class:

Latin Lovers and Nerdy White Boys

What secrets may be learned from Pepe the King Prawn? What skeletons does Beaker have hidden in his closet? In this class we will examine both on an intellectually challenging level. The study will range from childhood to where they are today, and how they came to be where they are in life now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It sounds like Jerry Nelson show teach such a class sense he was so good as doing accents!:smirk:

Pork

Reaction score
Gorgs and Doozers: The Genius Behind Them All
Don't know how well I'd go at taking a class on it, but I'd sure like to go to one :stick_out_tongue:. I may be able to give a ten minute talk, then leave the rest of the time for quetsions :stick_out_tongue:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
What exactly would you teach in this class Ana?

And Will, I agree, but the thing is, Jerry Nelson would be like muppet IV League. You know, like the award-winning research scientist, or the internationally famous author. Most of these would probably be beginnier level or nearly that, and so would likely be left to us poor slobs with terrible jobs, lol.