I'm FAMOUS!

Struble

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Very cool. I have been over at your site several times. It's a very slick, clean design - not to mention the great content. You are a very talented guy!
Sorry that it's rarely ever updated! I've been real busy with pay work. I won't disagree that I am a talented guy, but I gotta say I couldn't do these things without the help of my artists. Even though I have no drawing skills to speak of, they helped me fulfill my lifelong dream of putting out comics.

Sh.

Struble

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
t's cool youve been able to assemble a neat small roster of talent...might I ask, which particulair title do you do?(the United Front one?)

Diamond didnt pick you guys up? Hmm. It's odd, as all the local comic book stores near me have had a new rennaisance in small press and indie title stuff(SLG, Oni, etc)

Did you ever do fanzines/self published kinkos ashcan halfsize stuff? Ive been doing that for years, but seriously plan to finally seek the pro comic release route next spring. If youre familair with Jhonen Vasquez/SLG/Oni titles, as well as Dreamwave Production stuff its kind of a cross between(colorful, wacky, existential manga influenced stuff...very 'Cory'-eque)
I publish all the books, and work in some capacity on the creative side of everything. Even if it's just doing the lettering.

Now, you gotta sit down and think about your third paragraph. Oni, SLG, Fantagraphics, etc. are HUGE companies in comparrison to the one I own. These companies would be the ones called Independent. They don't sell as much as the big three, but they do sell a considerable amount of books. The Militia is small press. Our biggest print run to date has been 1,000 copies. Oni (who I've coloured for, btw) wouldn't dream of releasing a book if it's orders were that low. Small press books are always much more of a risk, because less people are going to order them. That's why Diamond thinks we have cootees -- that and they think that people don't want to buy anthology comics.

Yes, I started out doing Kinkos printed Mini-Comics. I actually still have a fair stock of Jack Spade and Tony Two-Fist minicomics -- left over from the early years of the Militia -- for sale in the store.

Sh.

Struble

Reaction score
Re: Man... I know so little.

Originally posted by Boober_Baby
I never even knew this site existed. Or any of these other sites I've been obessesively going to for the past few days.

I've never even been into mainstream comics, so of course I know nothing of indy comics! But now... well, first I went to your cartoonmilitia.com, then I started going to the other links... and those people's other links... and now I find myself absolutely obsessed, and wishing I had a credit card to order everything at all these sites! >< Thanks for corrupting me!

Hee, seriously though, congrats on the mention in that magazine! AND YOUR SITE ROCKS!!! I seriously am obsessed.
Good. Glad to see I'm fulfilling my mission to get people who have never read comics into reading comics. Your welcome for the corruption. Sales of comics are at an alltime low, right now. Lots of companies are going out of business. If we could all just get a few people to pick up at least one book a month -- the industry would get that swift kick it needs to keep going.

Sadly, what few people realize -- like you for instance -- that there is more to comicbooks than the tights that have dominated the industry for all these years. There are so many good stories in every conceivable genre in comics. There is at least one comic out there for everybody. I just wish it were easier to get people to understand that.

Sorry, let me get off my soapbox. Thank you for the compliments. They are much appreciated. We put a lot of hard work into our books for no profit, so it's nice to know that people are out there enjoyin' 'em.

No credit card?!? We also accept cheques and money orders and well hidden cash!

As for accidentally posting when you were meaning to reply... I do that all the time, too. My trick is to always hit the "quote" button even if I'm just gonna delete the quote. Saves me from slipping up!

Sh.