I'm going to be a puppeteer in Little Shop Of Horrors!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hi guys, long, long ,long time since i've really posted much, but i just wanted to say that i got the part to be one of the puppeteers for Audrey 2 in a fall production of Little Shop of Horrors. This is going to be at a classic opera house theater in my area too and is not a high school production btw (not that there is anything wrong with high school productions but i graduated back in 2002!l lol!):smile:

I can't wait! rehearsals start near the end of August and the show with 9 performances is in October! The puppets i saw and used were amazing and of high quality, i nailed my audition and i know that the directors really liked my lipsnyc with the plant! Little Shop has always been my favorite musical and i loved it when i finally got to see it live on stage when it was on tour back in 2006. It's always been a dream of mine to play the part of the plant and this really is going to be like a dream come true! I've been waiting for this chance for years!:zany: I acutlay one day hope to be in another production of the show someday and be the voice of the plant as well, but I know, one thing at a time! lol! It's just so exciting! I don't wanna wish the summer away, but I am really looking forward to it! I got my call back on April 1st and it was no April Fools joke!:insatiable:

Teenager's

Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats man!...what a Venue to play at!

So are you a part of a team of Audrey puppeteers?

Blink

Reaction score
Hey, great job Zack! Nice to see that you are keeping busy with the puppetry. Amazing news buddy.

Jinx

Reaction score
Congrats, Zack! Puppeteering Twoey remains one of my all-time favorite roles, having done the show three times. One thing I'll say right off the bat, (if I understand you correctly) you mention wanting to voice AND manipulate the puppets.... well, you'll soon learn that it's one or the other. There is no way you would be able to do both simultaneously, as they both require a LOT of breath, and in very different ways. The first time I did the show I lost 15 lbs, it's that strenuous.

For me the biggest "workout" was in pod #3 during Feed Me/Git It. Fast & furious! But pod #4 is the duration test, and it's obviously the heaviest puppet.

Any "advice" I would offer would be to work upper body conditioning leading up the rehearsals. During rehearsals and performances, apart from the obvious stetching exercises make sure you stay properly hydrated. This is EXTREMELY important!

It's a grueling role, but you'll have a BLAST doing the show.

One last thing to remember: the story is about Audrey and Seymour, not Twoey. She's the third leg of the triangle, but not the main star. It's really such a brilliantly constructed script without an ounce of fat in it.

Have fun and keep us posted!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yay! Congrats and good luck! My school is doing LSoH next year and, as everybody knows here, I'm trying like crazy to make sure that I'm the Audrey II puppeteer.

Jinx said:
Any "advice" I would offer would be to work upper body conditioning leading up the rehearsals. During rehearsals and performances, apart from the obvious stetching exercises make sure you stay properly hydrated. This is EXTREMELY important!
That's actually helpful advice for me, too. I've been working out since we ended the musical last year and I'm seriously hoping for the best. Do you think it would help to bring a puppet with me to the auditions or make a demo reel with some puppet videos done by me on it?

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
That's great Zach...glad to see you on the boards again.
I know your puppeteering will be awesome, because it is!

Kye

Reaction score
Congrats! I just finished playing the role. Did you have the puppets there for the audition? nice!:smile:

Jinx

Reaction score
Do you think it would help to bring a puppet with me to the auditions or make a demo reel with some puppet videos done by me on it?
I think that bringing a puppet to use would be the best. A demo reel is going to have a different "vibe", and it lack the spontenaeity of performing live.

Luke

Reaction score
Zachary, this is an awesome and most momentus day, i always said you'd go far! (at least thats my story)