I'm new, attempting to make my own muppets

heintzvelvet

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.
I've visited this site many times, and thouroughly enjoy it. I only recently noticed the forums, and this section in particular caught my eye.

I am obsessed with doing voices, I can do pretty much all the muppet characters. I've been trying to buy a professional Kermit and Fozzie puppet for a long time, but then decided... If I'm going to get one that I want, I'm going to have to do it myself. You see, I want to perform "Moving Right Along" at some of the local talent shows, etc... also I love to just play around with them.

Anyways, like I said I'm going to be making these puppets, and I haven't really ever made a puppet before... I've made costumes, but not puppets. what I need to know is, before I get started...

What supplies am I going to need? I read something about Foam Rubber... I'm not entirely sure what is meant by that... I'm familiar with Foam Rubber Latex, but not sure what is meant by Foam Rubber.

You guys are all great, just thought I might add, I've looked at quite a few of the forums, and love all the puppets I've seen.
Keep up the great work!:smile:

doctort13

Reaction score
Just do it!

I too am a new puppet builder, puppeteer. Well not that new, I am almost 40! I was a HUGE puppet nut as a kid, then got side tracked into music/video/radio for 20+ years. Now I am back, and with help from my wonderful wife making my own characters.

The first step is to sketch out your character, this will help you build the puppet. Next you need to determine what material to use. I have used paper mache, and fleece. I am hestitant to try foam, since it breaks down over time.

Try looking at you local library for books about puppetry. If they do not have any you may want to buy a book from Puppeteers of America bookstore .

For more info about PoA look at
www.puppeteers.org