Imagining.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ LOL. Yeah, I could never really get completely into it, I knew I was just making it all up as I went along and it wasn't real, it was more like it was all invisible around me. I don't think a person could walk into the room and I'd actually think they were an evil monster or something XD "It's Medusa! Oh no, she's trying to... mom?"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Uh can we stay on topic people?

I reserected this thread so we can talk about anything SS related only!

Redsonga

Reaction score
We are on topic, you asked us
I also would like to know if anyone here tried to imagine being somewhere and thinking they could actually end up there just like on SS?

I'm sure over the years there must have been plenty of kids who tried to do that and were disappointed when they didn't.
and we are answering :smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know, no matter how hard I use my imagination, I'd never ever get to the level of actually "being" in the place I imagined :? I'm not a Muppet Baby!
Lol, yes the Muppet Babies did do that very well, with excellent musical and visual transitions into the fantasy.

To me, it was always kinda funny to see Sesame Street characters imagining things because, hello, their real world is already a little weird! Hehe :insatiable:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think that part of the appeal that SS has lost, or at least gotten out of balance, in the past few years is the mixture of realism with the fantasy. The Muppets, while we don't dispute how genuinely real they are, are in and of themselves fantasy-based and they exist on a real street with real people who interact with them. The street itself used to seem more real and gritty than it is now. In contrast, now there is a brighter, less real seeming street and there seem to be more elements of fantasy.

I feel that what probably used to be pretend and imaginary has become an everyday real thing. This isn't to say fantasy-based characters did not exist on the street before, but I feel the show used to do a better job of balancing everything.

But honestly, I am not one to talk. I am more familiar with the format of the show today than the classic Sesame Street. This is more of a vague observation. I'm not even sure if this post makes sense!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No I think you're right, it's like when Barney says, "Hey kids, let's imagine we're in China!" Um...we're already imagining a giant, purple, annoying animal that ought to be extinct is in our classroom, isn't that enough? !

Reaction score
There was another simmilar CM momment where he and Big Bird were watching the King Minus cartoon and Cookie thought how great it was to have this so called magic touch and he imagines he turns everything into cookies.

First the the garbage basket that's in front of the play area, then the tree just to the left of Hooper's store.

Then Bob and Susan comes by and CM tells them about his magic touch saying everything he touches turns into cookies, accidently touchs them and they are now these big pile of cookies.

David come by and CM keeps telling him to keep away and then BB finally pulls him back to reality.
Actually, it was the newstand at Hooper's that was the first object he touched. As he passed that pile after turning the tree into cookies he said, "Ah! Me remember that! That newstand!"

Shortly after Big Bird pulled him back to reality, Susan came out down the steps with a plate load of cookies. After she presented CM the plate, he thought he turned BB into a cookie pile and moaned, "Oh, Big Bird! Me so sorry!". Then he saw BB's face who said, "See? I'm still a bird." After he learned the reality, he quietly thanked Susan and BB, then, "COOKIES!", and the rest is Sesame history! :insatiable::wisdom:

ISNorden

Reaction score
You're right that Sesame Street used to stay (mostly) realistic until a lesson or plot required some fantasy. Nowadays it's the other way round; fantasy rules the street until a lesson about "real vs. imaginary" comes up. (One example I dimly recall: Elmo was pretending to be Jack, from the beanstalk story; he was very disappointed that the bird he'd brought with him couldn't really lay golden eggs.)

ISNorden

Reaction score
Actually, it was the newstand at Hooper's that was the first object he touched. As he passed that pile after turning the tree into cookies he said, "Ah! Me remember that! That newsstand!"

Shortly after Big Bird pulled him back to reality, Susan came out down the steps with a plate load of cookies. After she presented CM the plate, he thought he turned BB into a cookie pile and moaned, "Oh, Big Bird! Me so sorry!". Then he saw BB's face who said, "See? I'm still a bird." After he learned the reality, he quietly thanked Susan and BB, then, "COOKIES!", and the rest is Sesame history! :insatiable::wisdom:
I actually saw that street scene when I was a girl; like a lot of kids in those days, I was pretty impressed to see that Muppets could imagine anything into existence. (At least, I reasoned that it must work for monsters even if people couldn't do it!) And it scared the heck out of me to see Cookie Monster's friends transformed...an overactive imagination is a real curse in a world like his!