In between Lego Movies 1+2, The Ninjago movie!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems that just before the second film, Lego wants to get another movie out there with their brand. So, instead of a connected film, They've decided to use one of their own sub-brands.

Seems like a pretty solid idea, even though this was a TV series before. And usually movies based on TV shows that are on at the time tend to not do so well. It's only natural, though, to make a film with one of their sub-brands at some point.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm all for this. The more TV show-based theatrical movies released around the time of the show, the better. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the general audience doesn't get it, unless it's either Rugrats or adult cartoons to see how much they can get away with. This announcement doesn't distinguish between this being a continuation/connection of the TV series or it's own original thing.

Now, what I'd like to see is a Lego Justice League theatrical film, using the same big name actors from the Lego Movie. The irony being they can do anything they want to in a Lego movie and the audience will love it, where as a live action JLA film gets humongous internet backlash if so much as the food service uses the wrong cheese on a sandwich.

And seriously.... we need more Lego Will Arnett Batman. Too much is never enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A major update on the film finally surfaced.Obviously, this movie is going to be all Hollywooded out. It does indeed have the same characters, but witha celebrity voice cast upgrades over the original Canadian voice cast. Thankfully, they're mostly comedians/comedic actors, though...seriously? Dave Franco?

Other than that, the only other info is that it'll stray from the show, obviously being a different continuity so this comes off as a one shot movie for those who never saw the TV series. This seems to be written by some of the staff of The Lego Movie, meaning that the humor won't be completely different from that, but obviously dissimilar to the more cartoon series style of...well...the cartoon series.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
A major update on the film finally surfaced.Obviously, this movie is going to be all Hollywooded out. It does indeed have the same characters, but witha celebrity voice cast upgrades over the original Canadian voice cast. Thankfully, they're mostly comedians/comedic actors, though...seriously? Dave Franco?

Other than that, the only other info is that it'll stray from the show, obviously being a different continuity so this comes off as a one shot movie for those who never saw the TV series. This seems to be written by some of the staff of The Lego Movie, meaning that the humor won't be completely different from that, but obviously dissimilar to the more cartoon series style of...well...the cartoon series.
This movie certainly has potential to be a success, but not beyond $200 Million.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly don't quite know how this one will play out, only insomuch that Ninjago has been a TV cartoon for some time now. I think that when Lego Batman the movie comes out, film goers will know that there's a clear separation between the constant 2 a year flow of Lego Batman/DC Comics DTV's and Lego Movie Batman. That's the deal with that Lego video game, and I think most that followed it know that DC Comics Lego Batman is a different continuity and character, and also predated the movie for a few years. Plus, Lego Movie Batman was the scene stealer for that film, so no doubt his spinoff is going to be wall to wall wackiness. Plus it's Batman and I'm confident a fun version of the character will be the perfect antidote for the overly dark Batman VS Superman film.

But a movie based on a Toy Line that's also a TV show seems to be the trick. Removing the obvious question of will it be a Spongebob/Rugrats/Simpsons level of success or a Hey Arnold/Ratchet and Clank (which is technically not a TV show, but the movie felt like the movie to one) flop, there's going to be a major disconnect. This will be a Ninjago movie that's stylistically similar to the Lego movie, rather than the TV series. And it feels it could go either way. I don't think a direct film adaption of the TV series would excite any more casual types, at the same time, I could see kids who watch the series be confused by the characters and themes being different.