In Memory of Paul Wellstone

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Well being a Minnesotan this past weekend has been a truly hard one. Paul Wellstone his wife Shelia daughter Marcia, along with Campaign workers Tom Lapic, Mary McEvoy and Will McLaughlin as well as 2 pilots were killed in a plane crash in northern Minnesota. For the past weekend I have basically been in a state of utter sadness over this death. This should come as no suppose to anyone who has read anything i have posted here over the past year that I am a bleeding heart liberal. I was a very big supporter of Paul Wellstone, he was someone I admired with great enthusiasm because he stood for what he believed in. Very similarly to in my Mind Jim Henson did Paul never gave up the good fight.

I had had the joy of working phones for Pauls 1996 campaign. But i had meet Paul for the first time 6 years before then at the Minnesota State Fair. Paul was a small man but was easy to spot out in a crowed, he was the lowed one, with lots of energy. I went over to shake his had at the age of 12, he shook mine, and asked me my name, then he replied to call me Paul. We then talked for a few minutes, and i moved on but in that time i knew this man was someone i should admire.

In 1996 i was excited to turn 18 so I could vote for the first time. I had read along the way that that Bill Cosby had on the morning of his 18th birthday had gone down and registered to vote. I thought this was great and wanted to do the exact same thing myself, somehow my father contacted the local town newspaper so a reporter came down to take some photos and write an article on my registering to vote. A few weeks after this was in the newspaper I received a Hand Written note from Paul Wellstone saying "Christopher, Congratulations keep up the good fight, your friend Paul Wellstone." A hand written note form a sitting United States Senator to me that was quite touching and exactly what type of person Paul Wellstone was.

Whether you are Liberal or Conservative or Moderate, Republican, Democrat, Green, or Independent. Whether you agreed with Paul Wellstone’s politics or thought he was in the wrong more then right I ask you to take this in remembering this man. Paul was a fighter, for those who didn’t have a voice and for those who couldn’t help themselves. Paul stood up for the little man while most just wanted to have them fall off of the cliff of our society never to be heard from again. He fought for the Poor, the abused, the discriminated all so that we can live in a world that was free of such things. Because I truly believe that he realized harmony between these things turns the world around. If more Senitors learned form Paul, and worked the way he did for whatever cause they support I believe our government would get a whole lot more done. Instead of being deadlocked in Party redirect. Paul was a good man and one I will miss dearly.

CW