Indiewire: Does Muppets Most Wanted Have Oscar "Best Song" Potential?

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
So Indiewire has been posting predictions for various 2015 Academy Award categories, and their recent run-down of potential Best Original Song nominees gives Muppets Most Wanted an outside chance of cracking the final list.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2015-oscar-predictions-best-original-song-20141014

The writers slot two MMW songs in their "Other Possibilities" list: "Interrogation Song" (#11) and "I'll Get You What You Want" (#13). Strangely, they don't give my two personal picks, "Something So Right" and "We're Doing A Sequel," any mention at all.

Even more strangely, that ridiculous-albeit-catchy "Everything Is Awesome" song from The Lego Movie is one of only two listed in "The Front-Runners, As Far As We Can Tell" (the other being "Lost Stars" from Begin Again, a movie I have yet to see but hope to view soon).

I'm at a loss to tell you about the chances of any other listed songs as I haven't seen their corresponding movies, other than "What Is Love" from Rio 2 and "Where No One Goes" from How To Train Your Dragon 2. (Neither song struck me as especially impressive.)

Thoughts?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I hope so. I would find it shocking if Something So Right doesn't get a chance at winning. I think Everything is Awesome is going to win though, just because the Oscars pick everything based on popularity.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I have noticed I'll Get You What You Want has been playing numerous times on the Sirius XM channel Kids Place Live for some reason, plus it was #3 on some top song countdown on the channel.

Though Cockatoo in Malibu is my favorite song from the film, I too thought that Something So Right would be an Oscar-worthy song.:stick_out_tongue:

But still, I'm just so happy that it's quite possible that The Muppets might have another Oscar nomination again.:fanatic:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Something So Right will get nominated, not sure if it will win. The other songs are great and also some are better, but this one seems to have the heart and feel of a song that would get a nomination or an Oscar, I hope it is right.

RealWonderman

Reaction score
I think Something So Right could potentially win. Pretty sure it'll at least get a nod.

CaptainYoda

Reaction score
I think "I Can Get You What You Want" is a catchy tune and has a chance of making it.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Like everyone else, I hope Something So Right gets nominated. However, last month one of my younger sisters agreed to watch the film with me and my parents, and here's what happened: now, this particular sister of mine is the type who will take anything too seriously or make any comments of things that bother her in TV shows, movies, or popular culture in general. Muppets Most Wanted was no exception. There were a good number of scenes that she felt the need to comment on- Something So Right happened to be one of them. She was pretty well aware that we fanatics want this song to be a nominee if not the winner for the Best Original Song. After hearing the song, she proclaimed that "a high schooler could have come up with these lyrics!" (Oh, and as a side note: like a lot of other people, she found Kermit and Piggy's imaginary babies creepy.)

Does anybody else agree that a high school student could have easily come up with the lyrics for the song? (That's not to say that I think so.)