Inside jokes on The Muppet Show

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm watching my season 3 Muppet Show DVD box set and I came across two inside jokes. One I remember from the time life videos (or where they from that Odyssey channel when they played The Muppet Show, never seen the channel myself) the Brain Henson intro where he mentioned that someone sent a complaint about how The Swedish Chef didn't speak real swedish and Jerry Juhl wrote this funny response back saying that The Swedish Chef was going to get fired due to the reply but he has a wife and kids and promises to take real swedish lessons. Also before TMS didn't Jim have a cassette tape that he played in his car and learned how to speak "Mock Swedish" and he would roll down his window and just laugh as people gave him weird looks as he was developing The Swedish Chef's voice while driving? I forgot where I read that. lol Funny story. lol. So the Jean Stapleton episode with Sam the Eagle and The Swedish Chef, that was an inside joke on that right?

Even the intro Kermit quoted "The show people said would never get off the ground", that was an inside joke on the bitter struggle history on how The Muppet Show was trying to pitch all over America and nothing happened until Lew Grade right?

One of my favorite episodes was the J.P. Morgon, (besides all the funny explotion gags which I still love with The Muppets :smile: and you don't see much anymore.) The intro where she gave Scooter a bomb and blew him and said "This ain't going to be no cute puppet show". lol I cheer every time I hear that. lol That was also an inside joke on the long history of The Muppet Show and how Jim wanted to prove the Muppets were for adults.

Also I remember hearing a story, correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere during the struggle of The Muppet Show pitching, Jim was sitting at his desk fusterated and trying to think of a solution and Frank Oz, Jerry Juhl, etc where talking to him and saying "Sesame Street is popular with the kids, so why don't we just stick with children's entertainment" and suddenly Jim slamed his fist on the table which shocked everyone and Jim said of course quietly and formally "We are going to do an adult show." I don't remember where I read that, either an article or a book but I always found this story to be very strong and rebellion of the journey of The Muppet Show pitching era in the history. Again correct me if I'm wrong on some details, I like to be as accurate as possible. :smile: