Interesting Labyrinth article

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Found this while searching for some pics today and thought it was interesting. I know MC isn't a religious site, and I'd hope this thread doesn't spiral into a theology debate, but I thought it was worth checking out. In short, it's an article conecting Labyrinth to a spiritual journey.

Please be advised that there are some extreme references that may offend some depending on their beliefs with references to Jareth as Satan, Hoggle sometimes as Christ and other connections like the fairies to homosexuality. In other words, I'm merely sharing it, don't feel obligated to post if you think a debate could get ugly. The point is that she does make some creative connections.

Click

Frogster

Reaction score
I like how people read in-depth about stories and movies, like Lord Of The Rings, The Simpsons, Lost and such... interesting article. It makes interesting points.

HEY DAVE! "And now to Ollie Williams for the traffic report... Ollie?"
"EVERYONE LOOKS LIKE ANTS!"
"That's probably because you're so high up, Ollie."

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Coming up, the latest swear word: Clemen... we'll tell you what it means.

Frogster

Reaction score
You know, I almost put THAT one, but I was afraid of getting censored!

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
This article was really interesting! But I thought the views on the Fairies and the Bog of Eternal Stench were kind of strange.

Java

Reaction score
Hmm, I have to think about this for awhile. It's definatley something to ponder.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I thought the beginning was interesting about Sarah's conflicts with her baby brother. But the parts about Hoggle I didn't agree with. Hoggle's not a Christ figure. He doesn't represent the good that Sarah's rejecting. He's a fallen person who has to redeem himself.

And I think the fairies represent how naive Sarah is at the beginning, she thinks creatures that look pretty must be good. But I think that's all the fairies are meant to represent.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Okay, there's analyzing, and then there's OVER-analyzing. :wink: I mean, anybody with an overactive imagination and/or philosophical viewpoint can analyze anything they WANT to out of this movie instead of accepting it for what it is--fantasy with the simple message of believing in yourself.

As for myself, I choose to believe that Labyrinth is a representation of a sandwich I ate once. Toby was the mayonnaise packet that got lost in the labyrinth of the back seat of my car, and like Sarah, I had to embark on a self-proving journey through the strange and unusual, meeting some lifelong friends along the way such as my other sock (Hoggle), those fries from last week (Ludo), and my paycheck (Sir Didymus). Jareth was, of course, my subconscious telling me to give up my quest because my mayo would soon be lost forever.

Sorry about that...it's 10:30 at night and I had ice cream. :crazy:

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Thank you. I pride myself on my unique philosophical viewpoints.