Interesting thing about Muppet Central that can wreak havoc on people computers...

Movies205

Reaction score
If you open Muppet Central on a computer that doesn't have Macromedia software and click no to download it opens DOZENS uPON DOZENS OF MUppet CENTRAL WINDOWS AND DOESn'T STOP! IT DOESN'T ! It just keeps going Hehe I did it to my friend computer at school lol it good fun but it a pain if you actually want view the site...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard about that. I know it doesn't happen on all computers, but everyone's system is different. We'll check on that, but the Flash plug in is so tiny that it only takes a minute to download. Don't see why someone wouldn't say yes. :confused:

scarecroe

Reaction score
Some logins don't have the proper permissions for installing software. Movies205 was at school when it happened so he might not have that ability. On the other hand, some people just don't like Flash. Either way, there needs to be some real education on Flash to both designers and users alike because a lot of folks have the wrong idea about it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We'll try to check it out.

You could be right, but Movies205 did not state that as an issue. It is a rare occurrence and we will explore it.

MC is about as Flash friendly as it gets. The only alternative is to have an intro page notifying the user of the plug in. We probably won't have 2 different versions of the site because it would require more bandwidth. We have enjoyed such a high success rate with the Flash elements. It has actually increased hit rate and site awareness. There seems to be more folks who dislike intro pages than those who avoid Flash. I think the issue is with the shtml code, but it is apparent from the alert pop-up that the site won't play properly without the plug in. It definitely shouldn't create a slew of pop-ups. We'll look into it, but that is a freak occurrence that we haven't heard about in the four months since the new site's debut.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: We'll try to check it out.

Originally posted by frogboy4
MC is about as Flash friendly as it gets.
Oh Lord...you know some people here now have jokes galore runnin' through their li'l adulty minds...

Movies205

Reaction score
It not a big deal(BTW I love flashh and what it can do) it just some schools that have like permissions and no flash it screws up on...

Luke

Reaction score
Jamie

There's no need for an intro page or another plain HTML version. You can put it into the code on the main page that if flash isn't detected, it diverts the browser to another page you specify. Thats the one you need to make telling them MC uses Flash and let them follow a link to download it or choose to go on without explaining they can use the text links at the bottom of pages to navigate. Thats way better than a permission box just popping up if they don't have it which doesnt explain much.

anathema

Reaction score
Not to mention that IE will bring up that dialog for *every* page with Flash in it, and there's no way to tell it that you do not want to install Flash, ever! I've been forced to install the horrible thing just to get rid of the persistent requests to download it.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'll second Luke and anathema's comments and add that going the cookie route might be something you want to consider.