International Englishes

Ernie101

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Who calls it soda?! That's just bizarre. It's definately always pop here.
I love seeing differences from people in different places. Here we always call it Soda..and people would be in awe if someone used the word pop. Haha.. That's neat isn't it? As for me, I still call it.. Juice.. :embarrassed:

Vic Romano said:
I'm an American, and **** proud to be one, but I'm even prouder to call all of you outside these United States my friends, friends who I find breaking their countries stereotypes and welcoming us dumb hoity Yanks as their friends too.
Truly inspiring and great words..
but seriously ..I couldn't have said it better Vic.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
You've never heard of us Americans being stupid? I hear it all the time. Usually in a mock-French accent. "you stupid Americans!" Of course we're usually using it as a joke... And as for fries, I've heard them called "freedom fries," and it bothers me. But anyways... yeah, I say "eh" pronouced like in "get" a lot, usually when I'm thinking or sort of adjusting something. Like, "eh, somethin' like that." But usually when I'm typing, since most people think of the Canadian "eh," I'll type "ah" or "uh," even though that's not really what I'm thinking. Or I'll tag on an extra "h".

That Announcer

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
You've never heard of us Americans being stupid? I hear it all the time. Usually in a mock-French accent. "you stupid Americans!"
Robin Williams does a great joke about that on his Broadway DVD. I often do it too, but usually imitating Jean Chretien (much to the dismay of MrsPepper).

As for my general impressions of other cultures:

English- great friendly people who often use proper grammar and like to drink beer, and most of who have strange laughs

French- snotty, uptight, weird-food-eating, strangely accented people who I tend to dislike (with the exception of my French teacher, who's really a great guy)

Americans- impossible to tell, as the society is diverse enough that you can't really approximate. But if I had to pick an example American, I'd say my uncle Ron: a usually friendly, slightly opinionated guy who likes his job and his wife

Canadians- weird, sometimes snotty individuals who try violently to disprove the notion that everyone in Canada says "eh" to end their sentences. (This is everyone in my school, people.)

Newfoundlanders- friendly, seaworthy people who like to drink and have family gatherings (Newfies exist in a whole separate category from most Canadians; I should know, my whole family's from there)

Irish- inviting people who have a way with words

Scottish- I can't say, I've not had much experience with them

edible eye

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Who calls it soda?! That's just bizarre. It's definately always pop here.

I do, I've always hated the term "POP"? No one I know calls soda "pop." I think people who say "pop" are bizarre.
:stick_out_tongue:
As for stereo types well,

The Irish are drunks who beat their wives
The British are cross dressers with bad teeth.
The French are frog eating, bike riding, Jerry Lewis lovers.
The canadians are just those people who were British loyalists and kicked out of the USA after the American Revolution. (and have been sneeking back ever since) The show "Red Green" also comes to mind.

As for differences in word definitions,
I always got a kick out of cigarette, being a fag.
and chips being crisps
elevator being a lift
I like the "mind the gap" phrase too. :smile:

As a side note: On my last trip abroad, I was grouped with a family from Texas. They were fat, ignorant and rude. Not that all Texans are, but I can see how Americans can get a bad reputation.

But to quote the "Muppets take Manhattan" Peoples is peoples.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hee. I shouldn't have said bizarre. All I meant was that I can't think of a time that I've ever heard anyone use the word soda in a typical conversation.

TA, your school isn't really good then. Why try and dispel the truth? :wink: I say "Eh" all the time and I love my country! And I love hearing stereotypes about us too. It's funny to see how we're actually perceived.
And I don't mind the Jean jokes, it's just cause I'm so PC. But keep making them and I'll keep laughing. In facts, I can dos that too, la.

And french fries aren't even french. You should just call them chips. ^_^ You don't have "French Fry" wagons, I hope. This is just me, but fries are never french fries, just fries. And they're always chips when you buy them from a chip wagon or get them with fish. ^_^ Mmm, oh I really want some fish and chips now. I've gone and made myself hungry...

Vic, **hugs** very well said. YAY for shattering stereotypes!

Oh and everyone who wants to see something really funny and cool, go here now:
http://www.airfarce.com/video/050401b.html
And watch the video at the bottom labeled "French Comic". It's of a french comedian "struggling" to do his act in english. Of course, we all know that it's just the setup of the skit. But it's really funny, and go watch. I think it's a realplayer video.
EDIT: Whoops, forgot. That video has some adult humour. Clicker beware.
And anyone else who mentioned canadians having a good sense of humour (someone did) watch some other clips on there. Great show.

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
TA, your school isn't really good then. Why try and dispel the truth? :wink: I say "Eh" all the time and I love my country! And I love hearing stereotypes about us too. It's funny to see how we're actually perceived.
And I don't mind the Jean jokes, it's just cause I'm so PC. But keep making them and I'll keep laughing. In facts, I can dos that too, la.
*TA explodes in laughter* :smile:

edible eye

Reaction score
So Canadians have fish and chips? And here I thought that was just a British thing. Do you eat all those meat pies that the British are so fond of too?
What the heck is a chip wagon?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yup. Well, french meat pies are called tortière. But, and I think they may be the same thing, I've had sea pie, which is a meat pie made of pork and beef. Very yummy.

And fish and chips are of course a british thing, but lots of restaurants have them over here and personally it's one of my favourite dishes.

**coughs** Sorry, Monsieur Prime Minister, la.