International Englishes

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Yup. Well, french meat pies are called tortière. But, and I think they may be the same thing, I've had sea pie, which is a meat pie made of pork and beef. Very yummy.

And fish and chips are of course a british thing, but lots of restaurants have them over here and personally it's one of my favourite dishes.

**coughs** Sorry, Monsieur Prime Minister, la.
Yep, I've seen tourtieres, but I've never seen sea pies. Maybe my Sobeys are just out.

"Eez no problem abouts de giggling, just don do it in ze futuhr."

edible eye

Reaction score
Interesting. I like my meat in a bun, and my pie to have fruit in it.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
WHA??!?! **dies** Sobeys definately does NOT sell them. They're one of those small-town home-cooked specialties. Go drive around Ontario and Quebec, you might find some.

Man, if a Quebecer joins on here, we are going to be slaughtered...

Oh, edible eye, keep in mind it's not exactly popular. One of those traditional things. But I can guarantee you most people I know wouldn't know what a sea pie is.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Mrs. Pepper do you mean sea pie isn't popular (I've never heard of it over here but I'd probably eat it if it was) or do you mean meat pie because we put everything in a pie! Pie is good...mmm....pie..

I like steak and kidney pie the best but even better than pie is steak and kidney pudding made properly with a suet crust.

And why do Americans seem to call all sweet things in a pot 'pudding'? I mean it seems like that is what it is generically called whereas here they're yoghurts (pronounced with the 'o' as in 'got').

Pudding is the sweet bit you eat at the end of tea or dinner and it can be anything, fruit, yoghurt, sweet pie, crumble..cake... Or it's something like steak and kidney pudding which is steamed in a bowl.

I was chatting to an American the other day and she kept talking about 'British fish and chips' and I had to hold back from saying "You mean fish and chips."

The one that always gets me is when Americans say jello instead of jelly and jelly instead of jam

Nuts, now I'm hungry.

Beauregard

Reaction score
To broil (in england, I'm english, this is how we have always used it here as far as I know) is to boil in milk. Such as, Broiled Fish. Fish cooked in milk.

Isn't that right???

As for how people see people, well, I see the british as far less than their american steriotype. Nothing made me laugh more than the upper class voices in Independence Time, saying, "Ahh, messae from the americans, in Old morse code, about Bloudy time." In totally "What, what" english accent. Funny!

luvtosr

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
To broil (in england, I'm english, this is how we have always used it here as far as I know) is to boil in milk. Such as, Broiled Fish. Fish cooked in milk.

Isn't that right???
Hmm, I'm in England and, though I know the phrase, I've never known exactly what's involved. I've always just said 'fish cooked in milk'. My Mum has a good old cook book from the times when pasta was considered exotic, I may have to go round and dig it out, see if it has anything about broiling.

edible eye

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
The one that always gets me is when Americans say jello instead of jelly and jelly instead of jam
Well, everything goes with Jello! :wink:
Jello, it that wabbly stuff made from horse hooves. Jelly is different from jam. Jam has lots of fruit bits in it and is very think. Jelly isn't chunky at all and it is easy to spread.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
jello, jelly, and jam: all "J" words, all foods, all things I don't eat.

Beauregard

Reaction score
How we all view the swedish: "Yey mouch vlerde incompeetanty curks..."

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Jello is just flavoured gelatin. Gelatin is that clear weird stuff that you suposedly use for cooking. I've used it in my hair before. Never do that unless you're forced.

No, I meant that no one knows what a sea pie is. Meat pies are fairly popular, I guess. Just this particular one is more of like, a traditional thing. You can't buy it in a store. The only place I've had it is in my father's hometown, small small place, and they have a picnic every year and serve sea pie. But if you went anywhere in Quebec, you could get a tortière, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure they're nearly the same thing. Arrrgh, i'm SO confused now.