Is anyone else not looking forward to the Fraggle Rock movie?

Kiki

Reaction score
Dude, you are definately intitled to your own opinion. I'm pretty happy about it all, seeing all the characters come together after 20-something odd years, but I'm not thinking about it all the time nor am I doing cartwheels so I'm not like, extremely exited or anything.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the movie i just hope us aussies get it released here in australia.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I wonder if anyone else isn't looking forward to it, or if it's just me. :embarrassed:
it may very well be you lol could you please tell us why?
Me I'm very excited but also worried but it's been so many years sure there could be plenty of bad things in it but I really don't see Brian letting that happen.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha huh? Byron, as one of the biggest FR fanatics here on MC, I'd've thought you'd be enthusiastic over the possibility of the pending cinematic debut of the Fraggles. It's OK if you're not, I'm just trying to understand your position on the issue.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Well, when I get so kindredly close with something, I get very apprehensive of future projects concerning it and what changes there may be.

Case in point: Narnia. Those are my favorite books, I've loved them since childhood and am so closely connected with them, and I was so deeply disappointed and let down by the theatrical version. I haven't seen it on DVD, and have no desire to watch it again---once was enough (in fact I would have gladly boycotted the DVDs in a protest had one been around). I do greatly enjoy the BBC version, because first of all I was exposed to it in childhood, so it's nostalgaic, and second of all they basically lifted the words right off the pages and brought them to life---which is the only way to do a book-to-movie, IMO. At least a book I'm so closely connected with, that is.

And Fraggle Rock...it's one of the shows dearest to me not only from my childhood (though I rarely got to see it), but in all genres of television shows period. But it's 20 years later! I may have been on board with this in 1988 or 1989, but decades later, I'm very shaky on how it will turn out...the Muppeteers' voices have aged, so the characters will sound different, we're in different times now, I don't know how much any personalities will change, etc. And from a few "hopeful hints" I read in a sticky thread here about the film, something may happen which I do NOT want to see happen in the Fraggle Rock universe, concerning the Gorgs.

I know many folks are excited about it, this is just my anxious viewpoint...it just seems odd to have this occur so many years later, and with all the changes that could bring that some fans like me may not like. :concern:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I kind of agree with you, Janice&Mokey'sMan. I'm not automatically happy with the idea of a Fraggle movie, just because their track record of late has disapointed. I'm just going to hope it works out.

Plus, even if it is a good movie, you can't go home again. It will never be exactly as it was before. That's why something's a classic, it can't be easily repeated. :smile:

Tim

Reaction score
As a production, I'm sure it will be fine, and we can all use another good quality family picture out there, especially for the kids. But without Jim, Jerry and Richard I doubt it can caprture the magic or live up to the fan base's expectations. Personally, while I appreciated the production and what Jim was trying to do, I was never into the whole "Fraggle" thing, so It makes no matter to me if it comes out or not, except where my working puppeteer friends are concerned.

I just think it's yet another "Who cares?" from the Henson Company. I mean, was ther any real demand for this? Put it up against the latest Pixar release or even "Shrek" and I doubt it would get much of an audience, except from preschoolers who don't pay to get in anyway.

Seems to be just an excuse to sell more DVDs and plush for the Disney Licensing division.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Tim said:
I doubt it would get much of an audience, except from preschoolers who don't pay to get in anyway.
Well they don't, but their parents do! :wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Is Disney now licensing the Jim Henson Company properties? They didn't get Fraggle Rock in the deal, only The Muppets and Bear. I don't know if Diz is selling JHC properties, though.

I kind of look forward to it. Zappa seems to be on target with keeping things original to the series, so if he does that I'm game. I just worry when they start saying "cameos" because I know the history of the JHC with their cameos in Muppets from Space, and the actor playing the Crocodile Hunter (ugh) in VMX. Though, if played off like the cameos in the original 3 Muppet films, it could work.

I look more forward to it than I am apprehensive about it.

Tim said:
As a production, I'm sure it will be fine, and we can all use another good quality family picture out there, especially for the kids. But without Jim, Jerry and Richard I doubt it can caprture the magic or live up to the fan base's expectations. Personally, while I appreciated the production and what Jim was trying to do, I was never into the whole "Fraggle" thing, so It makes no matter to me if it comes out or not, except where my working puppeteer friends are concerned.

I just think it's yet another "Who cares?" from the Henson Company. I mean, was ther any real demand for this? Put it up against the latest Pixar release or even "Shrek" and I doubt it would get much of an audience, except from preschoolers who don't pay to get in anyway.

Seems to be just an excuse to sell more DVDs and plush for the Disney Licensing division.