Is anyone else not looking forward to the Fraggle Rock movie?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
And from a few "hopeful hints" I read in a sticky thread here about the film, something may happen which I do NOT want to see happen in the Fraggle Rock universe, concerning the Gorgs.
Am I missing the point somewhere? What is it that people as so afraid of concerning the Gorgs?

I for one am looking forward to the movie with child-like naivety and excitement.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I for one am looking forward to the movie with child-like naivety and excitement.
I think I stopped being that way after seeing Muppet Christmas Carol (I know a lot of people like it and that's fine, but it wasn't my favorite Muppet film).

However, I've actually been pretty excited about the Fraggle film. All my friends think I'm crazy for believing it will turn out well. But I'm hoping we'll be surprised. :smile:

christyb

Reaction score
I think it's mainly the fact that Richard Hunt isn't around. After all Junior just isn't gonna be the same unless the voice is right.

Beauregard

Reaction score
christyb said:
I think it's mainly the fact that Richard Hunt isn't around. After all Junior just isn't gonna be the same unless the voice is right.
It could be that, I guess...but we have had many voice changes in the past (especially after so much time) and they have been ok...not great...but not daunting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if they used another voice, as long as it's true to the character.

The only thing is, Zappa said he couldn't really talk about the Gorgs, that it was top secret. Now either that means he has big plans that he doesn't want to discuss. Or, he has no idea if they can use the Gorgs and he's being evasive. Just have to wait and see!

Beauregard

Reaction score
heralde said:
I wouldn't mind if they used another voice, as long as it's true to the character.

The only thing is, Zappa said he couldn't really talk about the Gorgs, that it was top secret. Now either that means he has big plans that he doesn't want to discuss. Or, he has no idea if they can use the Gorgs and he's being evasive. Just have to wait and see!
Hmm...I guess that's true. My guess is that he's either talking about Gorgs and Fraggles working together/computer animated Gorgs/Gorg's garden leading into outer-space.

Luke

Reaction score
For what its worth, i'm a bit mixed on the idea. I like the idea they are trying to stay true to the show, and i like the idea that music will play a big part, and they don't really have much option other than to get a lot of the original crew back on board. What Zappa says is for the most part very cool. However i don't really like the plotline, i don't like the idea of the celebrity cameos (unless they are really amazing choices, and for a small budget retro flick, i dont see how they can be), and i think 2009 is going to be way off target for this kind of film. It kinda needed to be now, while that market is hot. They should have had this idea years ago. People will be into other stuff by then. I'm also not convinced there is a big enough market for a Fraggle Rock film, infact i think it's painfully obvious there isn't - and this film does not have the backing of any major backers or distributors as yet. I can see it being another "Five Children & It" and that was another Henson company production that didn't really do the original justice, or recieve the promotion or exposure a film like that should have had. I'm not even sure i can see this Fraggle film actually making it into theatres.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well the Fat Albert film had the same problem. They hadn't properly set up their young audience for who Fat Albert even was. Of course, that might not have mattered if the movie was well written! (I did like it, some parts were very sweet, but the plot was paper thin.)

Beauregard

Reaction score
heralde said:
Well the Fat Albert film had the same problem. They hadn't properly set up their young audience for who Fat Albert even was. Of course, that might not have mattered if the movie was well written! (I did like it, some parts were very sweet, but the plot was paper thin.)
I guess this good be a problem. The first thing they need to do is set up the relatioships..not change them, set them up. And then launch into the story.

As with X-men (I've used this analogy before). They didn't just start by throwing a million X-men on the streen the way they do in the third movie, they set things up slowly and carefully.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'd say I'm deffenitely looking forward to it, but I have my reservations. I'm torn here. Fraggle Rock is a wonderful show, and I would love to see a movie version... but it would have to be done right. When I say done right, I mean perfect. Fraggle Rock is the finest children's television show ever made. I'm a firm believer in that the world would be a far better place if all the world's leaders were forced to sit down and watch Fraggle Rock from beginning to end. It's a hard thing to achieve, and it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off as well with the film.