1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Is Frank Oz officially done with Sesame Street now?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by FatBlueMuppet, Oct 12, 2007.

1. FatBlueMuppet

FatBlueMuppet New Member

I'm just wondering, since I have not seen any new material this season with any of his 3 charachters. Does anyone know if he has now left Sesame Street as well? It wouldn't surprize me if he did. He's been phasing himself out of that show since the late 70's. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. Thanks
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't off the top of my head think so, since there were a lot of characters aside from the usual suspects that didn't show up this season in new footage, probably due to their low and ever shrinking budget.
  3. bigjeffy

bigjeffy New Member

He still performs on Sesame Street once in a while.
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

He did exactly one new grover sketch this season so far and he is still in the credits. It could be that he might be ready to hang in the towel so to speak. But only the future can tell us this for sure.
  5. bigjeffy

bigjeffy New Member

Maybe it's because he's getting too old?
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think to date he still commits like ONE day a year to tape new material with his characters; originally, he was only doing new Ernie and Bert sketches, but lately he's been doing new stuff with Grover, but only when they're Grover and Fat Blue sketches.

As far as the non-Sesame muppets are concerned, yes, he is officially retired from them, as is Jerry Nelson.
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Actually, Caroll Spinny and Jerry Nelson are both older then he is and Fran Barell is the same age as he is. Perhaps he is just moving on.
  8. Drtooth

But we're pushing for Jerry to at least loop dialogue for Fraggle Rock, the Movie.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yes, that's really the main reason why he's retired from the Muppets, and only commits one day a year to Sesame Street, because he's wanting to concentrate on his directing career.
  10. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Who's Fran Barell and Caroll Spinny? :) It's Fran BRILL and Caroll SpinnEY:)
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, hopefully he's be able to actually film it.
  12. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

What particular sketch are you referring to Ilikemuppets?
  13. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

What particular sketch are you referring to Ilikemuppets?
  14. JoeyMuppet

JoeyMuppet New Member

Well, I do know a season or 2 ago.. Frank Oz puppeteered Grover, for that Sesame Street parody of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. In that sketch, Grover was fixing Fat Blue's house.
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

With Jim gone and Frank, Jerry, and several of the rest of the original team moving on when countless generations have lived through their work, what will this mean for the future of both Sesame Workshop and Henson Productions?
  16. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I hope that what you said doesn't happen with the Fraggle movie, because whilst the UK Boomerang gets the series, we here in the States don't get jack.
  17. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

The one where the Kid is tickling Grover and he is freaking out and wanting him to stop it so he can talk to him about the word tickle witch was the work of the day.
  18. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

19. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

I wonder if he still does his one day a year gig with Sesame Street. In his last round of interviews for DEATH AT A FUNERAL, he said he hadn't with the muppets/sesame street in many years.
  20. Drtooth

He at least filmed one for last season, and I guess one or two for this year.