Is Frozen overrated?

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
FROZEN had a fanbase long before the movie even came out. And a huge one at that. I never really understood how a movie that hadn't even been released yet garners so much fandom. Last summer, I had a commission on deviantART, somebody asked me to do a pic of Hans with his son... who was the guy's OC. Even before it came out, not only did it have a fanbase, but that fanbase had OCs already too. And since it hadn't come out yet, and all that was available was the odd press shot here and there, I really had no references to work with.

Go fig.

And... heh... Sarge's a-scared of a snowman. :stick_out_tongue:
What? HOW? That's like asking someone to do one of Patrick as Mr. Superawesomeness (and his kid) for the new spongebob movie!
Like how people interpret "Let It Go" as a song about coming out of the closet.
Yeah, when i saw Frozen on New Year's Day, i didn't think anything like that. I just thought it was a cheesy Disney song.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I will be honest, I still haven't actually seen FROZEN. I'm just not much of a moviegoer, let alone a spectator anymore. The first time I heard "Let it Go" was in a webvideo where these guys did a reenactment of Matthew 18 by lipsyncing to kids telling the story in their own words: a servant got out of his debt to the king by singing "Let it Go".

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I will be honest, I still haven't actually seen FROZEN. I'm just not much of a moviegoer, let alone a spectator anymore. The first time I heard "Let it Go" was in a webvideo where these guys did a reenactment of Matthew 18 by lipsyncing to kids telling the story in their own words: a servant got out of his debt to the king by singing "Let it Go".
Uh, shouldn't you see it, just to see it really is bad?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Maybe because it's a bad film that's a waste of Don Bluth's talents? It's overall an unnecessary and painful to watch film, cynically made to cash in off the Princess Movie Boom Disney had at the time. Even Gilbert Gotfried couldn't get me to laugh. It's not even fun to watch ironically. Just overall a poorly made big studio mockbuster. Anastasia was better... actually watchable, but even then, you can tell they were trying to make a Disney film. Bluth did much better stuff in the 80's, back when animated films were more anything goes.

That seems to have started to become a trend with movies. Though I can't for the life of me think of many others at the moment. Still need to see it, but I've heard stories of how the film was supposed to be... a typical sneering villain with a wacky sidekick Disney film. Yep. Olaf was essentially the Iago/Hyenas/Pain and Panic of the film... probably abused by the Snow Queen villain... the film wouldn't have been as big as it was if it was just a formulaic Disney film. And it all turned on the writing of the "Let it Go" song.
Well I agree the 80's films were better. I don't think it was that bad, but to each his own.

Drtooth

Reaction score
His 80's films were art because he was free to do his own thing without some studio telling him to ape Disney movies. Thumbellina is a disgrace to his talents, and manages to somehow be worse than Filmation's unlicensed sequel to Snow White. And that was a bad film itself. Just every single thing about that movie felt like there was no love or soul. The music was terrible, the comic relief wasn't measurably funny, the script was awful... just overall a really bad animated film. Pocahontas was more entertaining. And you know how I feel about that one.

Everyone loves to say how CGI animation is polluting the landscape, and how too many studios are making CGI kiddy films... they forgot the 90's when everyone was making such...terrible little movies to cash in off Disney's then success. I'm sure The Nostalgia Critic has torn into every single one of them by now.

mr3urious

Reaction score
His 80's films were art because he was free to do his own thing without some studio telling him to ape Disney movies. Thumbellina is a disgrace to his talents, and manages to somehow be worse than Filmation's unlicensed sequel to Snow White. And that was a bad film itself. Just every single thing about that movie felt like there was no love or soul. The music was terrible, the comic relief wasn't measurably funny, the script was awful... just overall a really bad animated film. Pocahontas was more entertaining. And you know how I feel about that one.
Sad that Titan A.E. never got the commercial recognition it deserved and pretty much ended Bluth's career. It's a space opera with plenty of flaws of its own, but I'll give it credit for not being a wannabe Disney princess-fest.

Everyone loves to say how CGI animation is polluting the landscape, and how too many studios are making CGI kiddy films... they forgot the 90's when everyone was making such...terrible little movies to cash in off Disney's then success. I'm sure The Nostalgia Critic has torn into every single one of them by now.
And it seems like the CGI movie craze has slowly worn out its welcome over the years just like the hand-drawn craze.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sad that Titan A.E. never got the commercial recognition it deserved and pretty much ended Bluth's career. It's a space opera with plenty of flaws of its own, but I'll give it credit for not being a wannabe Disney princess-fest.
Yeah. I blame crap like The Tom and Jerry Movie, We're Back, and Thumbellina for why no one took that or Iron Giant seriously. If it didn't have the Disney brand on it, it was considered a knockoff. Not to mention how they firmly cemented cartoon movies as kid's entertainment, both things dooming things like Titan and Iron Giant. And when Disney branched out to action movies like Treasure Planet and Atlantis after they kept getting crap for formulaic princess movies, they got crap for not making formulaic princess movies.

And it seems like the CGI movie craze has slowly worn out its welcome over the years just like the hand-drawn craze.
When even Dreamworks is having trouble with a heavy hitter franchise like How to Train Your Dragon in a summer devoid of Pixar, you know something's wrong. Yet, The Nut Job managed to take advantage of being released in a dump month. Similar to the above, I blame fifth party companies for polluting the market with garbage like Gnomeo and Juliet, Legends of Oz, and Rio 2 (which even Rio fans found awful). It hurts the actual good films with a lot of love behind.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yeah. I blame crap like The Tom and Jerry Movie, We're Back, and Thumbellina for why no one took that or Iron Giant seriously. If it didn't have the Disney brand on it, it was considered a knockoff. Not to mention how they firmly cemented cartoon movies as kid's entertainment, both things dooming things like Titan and Iron Giant. And when Disney branched out to action movies like Treasure Planet and Atlantis after they kept getting crap for formulaic princess movies, they got crap for not making formulaic princess movies.

When even Dreamworks is having trouble with a heavy hitter franchise like How to Train Your Dragon in a summer devoid of Pixar, you know something's wrong. Yet, The Nut Job managed to take advantage of being released in a dump month. Similar to the above, I blame fifth party companies for polluting the market with garbage like Gnomeo and Juliet, Legends of Oz, and Rio 2 (which even Rio fans found awful). It hurts the actual good films with a lot of love behind.
Yeah there was great 90's films like Iron Giant and their was disney knockoffs and ripoffs like thumbellina.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Olaf was essentially the Iago/Hyenas/Pain and Panic of the film... probably abused by the Snow Queen villain... the film wouldn't have been as big as it was if it was just a formulaic Disney film. And it all turned on the writing of the "Let it Go" song.
Can I just say that I found Olaf incredibly creepy? I know he was a good guy, but... he was creepy.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I didn't mind We're Back too much, but the others like The Tom and Jerry Movie & Thumbellina, yeah those were bad.