Is Rowlf the only Muppet Sam the Eagle respected?

dietrich

Reaction score
Does anyone think Rowlf is the only character on the show that Sam respected. He must have appreciated that Rowlf performed classical music bringing class to the show. In Sam's eye Kermit was an enabler and the others were too weird.

They even performed two songs together (*** Willow and Froggie Went a Wooing). I'm sure if Jim performed Rowlf backstage more often, Sam would lodge his complaints to what he thought was a sympathetic ear.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
What about Wayne and Wanda? He seemed to adore them... At least early in season 1... Then I suppose it went downhill from there.

rexcrk

Reaction score
lol I love the Titwillow number xD.

And yeah I think Sam loved Wayne and Wanda too.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sam tried to cozy up to Statler once, but Statler was more interested in being...well a grumpy old guy! :attitude::boo:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It's a shame Sam wasn't more of a Gonzo fan -- since Gonzo was also into the classics ... though from a ... unique ... perspective. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sam tried to cozy up to Statler once, but Statler was more interested in being...well a grumpy old guy! :attitude::boo:
Actually, he does respect them somehow. I remember he LOVED their Varsity Drag number in the Steve Martin episode, saying it was Quality old fashioned fun.

He does seem like the only one who would get along with them.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I don't know... I think Rowlf is a little too laid back for Sam to truly appreciate him. We all know the dog wouldn't waste a good one-liner if he had one on Sam.

dwmckim

Reaction score
That's what made the Sam/Rowlf relationship so much fun...Rowlf was one of the few people that could earn Sam's Wing of Approval for being somewhat "normal" or "classy", but Rowlf could easily put one over on Sam and wouldn't bark at the opportunity to do so!

Sam can generally appreciate/tolerate Rowlf because he does bring Sam's idea of culture to the show (though at the same time would have a hard time understanding why someone with such talent would engage in playing Dr Bob or engaging in such "lesser forms" as jazz or country) and Rowlf could on the one hand be flattered that he's in the unique position of being appreciated by someone who hates most everything else while at the same time knowing full well what a pain Sam can be do his colleagues and walks that line between keeping Sam's trust (so that he can be the one to talk to and get through to Sam when most of the other Muppets probably couldn't) and also playing him for a fool with a wink to the audience.

Contrast that with the equally fun (if not moreso) Floyd/Sam dynamic where they're very clearly on opposite sides of each other's taste spectrum where Floyd can also have a lot of fun playing Sam for the fool, but most of the time, even though Sam's left aware that he's being mocked, he has no idea quite in what way since he just doesn't get Floyd's lingo/implications at all.

And of course, as mentioned by others, Sam does have some common ground with Statler and Waldorf in that they're both constant critics of the Muppet performers, but while this would give Sam and the hecklers some mutual respect and probably a shared table at Muppet gatherings, Sam would also find many things about S&W weird (the fact that they sit in that balcony show after show even though they complain) and likewise S&W can view the Eagle as something else to make fun of.

I actually would have liked to see more of the Sam/S&W dynamic explored more (well actually more of the Sam/Rowlf and Sam/Floyd dynamics as well)...Sam may after all applaud Statler and Waldorf's "Varsity Drag" as the only act during the auditions that could allow the Muppet Show to "turn the corner" but he probably wouldn't have had as charitable an opinion on S&W's "Burlesque Show" opening number attempt!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually would have liked to see more of the Sam/S&W dynamic explored more (well actually more of the Sam/Rowlf and Sam/Floyd dynamics as well)...Sam may after all applaud Statler and Waldorf's "Varsity Drag" as the only act during the auditions that could allow the Muppet Show to "turn the corner" but he probably wouldn't have had as charitable an opinion on S&W's "Burlesque Show" opening number attempt!
Yeah that would have been an interesting dynamic to develop. Sam likes that S&W prefer old fashioned entertainment, but on the other hand, all S&W seem to care about is insulting people, including Sam, which is perfect,lol.

muppetmonster

Reaction score
I know Sam adores Wayne and Wanda, as well as Statler and Waldorf, since the three share criticizing the other muppets in common, but Statler and Waldorf would probably find a way to heckle Sam, since he is well, Sam, and Sam might find a way to critique Statler and Waldorf, since they are well, Statler and Waldorf, but still, they might adore their common criticizing thread.

As for the other muppets, I think Sam likes Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter, and Kermit (obviously), since they are not as zany as their muppet colleagues, but they prefer to be around the zany muppets than the plain muppets, so this might be a problem for Sam.

I wonder, something, though. What would Sam think of the "Sesame Street" muppets? He might really like Bert, since they are very close in personality, and he might like Big Bird, though I question how much, but I wonder if he will like Oscar the Grouch, since Oscar is also a criticizing muppet.

What do the rest of you think?

Muppetmonster