Is "The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss" an underrated show?

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately, it seems that not a lot of people know about "The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss" except for those of us who grew up in the 90s, but I think the show is really underrated because it seems that nobody remembers it or talks about it as much as other shows from the 90s. What do you think?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's an okay show. Both seasons have their issues; I wish there was a happier medium between them, with a little more involvement from the Cat in the Hat, but none of the typical "We're glad you're here!" preschool affair.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I discovered the show while watching PBS one day and continued to watch it for a while, and yes it's a perfectly underrated show, SEASON 1 THAT IS. The first season was amazing, and it was more of a family show then a kid's show, it kept the magic of Dr. Seuss alive, and I wish PBS would air season 1 again. Then came Season 2, ugh :mad::rolleyes::eek::confused:, why! Why did they have to ruin an awesome family show and turn it into something strictly for 2 years, it felt like Elmo's World, it was terrible, and probably the reason why the show got cancelled. As the seussville website said on season 1.
Season one is notable for hewing closely to many of the themes of the original Dr. Seuss stories which often had a strong moral overtone. As a result, some episodes have distinctly dark or sinister elements which, like some Dr. Seuss books, may not be appropriate for younger children.
Then this is season 2 as wikipedia says.

For season two the show was reworked along the lines of a more traditional children's program. The Cat in the Hat (now voiced by a much less gravelly sounding Martin P. Robinson) lives in a playhouse with his Little Cats A through Z and the often flustered Terrence McBird (performed by Anthony Asbury). Aside from the residents of the house there are usually visitors based on Dr. Seuss characters. Each episode revolves around a theme (such as family, health, art) and features one or two songs about the theme. The action shifts between The Cat in the Hat and what is going on in his playhouse and shorter related story interludes, which he shows to the audience by means of his "Wubbuloscope."

I cringed every time a season 2 episode was on, and it's always so sad to me that a wonderful show had to change into garbage between two seasons.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
It's an okay show. Both seasons have their issues; I wish there was a happier medium between them, with a little more involvement from the Cat in the Hat, but none of the typical "We're glad you're here!" preschool affair.
Agreed! I like both seasons equally, but if elements from both seasons were brought together, maybe the show would have lasted a little longer than it did.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I remember watching this show on VHS tapes I got from my public library at least once. It was cute.