Is there an overrated/underrated Muppet production?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Why must you all make fun of kids? Now, THAT is something to cry about--adults making fun of kids, which is downright shameful. :mad: :grouchy: :cry:
No offense but take it to a Disney Channel thread. Your statement has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Powerstars

Reaction score
I feel that MFS is underrated. I just watched it again. The singing isn't really missed, or it wouldn't be, if we didn't have to listen to funk. But really, I love it, it's awesome. I also feel Kermit's Swamp Years is underrated.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, re-watching the Muppet's Wizard Of Oz, it's okay. It probably is the worst. It suffers from one of the same problems of Muppet Christmas Carol. The main role goes to a human, and she does a bad job anyways. Ya know, I was expecting Piggy as Dorothy. I do like Toto as Pepe though. Oh, and one of the lines just makes me cringe. "What do these things do?" "Oh, nothing, those are my nipples." Gonzo doesn't even HAVE nipples! Oh, another scene I liked was the one with Tarantino. But, yeah, for the Muppets, it's pretty bad.
MWOZ was just incredibly awful. Even with MCC, MTI, MFS, and VMX, there's a good story somewhere. But Oz was just jarring moment after jarring moment. And I say this every single time, why did they have to film the thing like it was an episode of the 1960's Batman? I had a horrible cold at the time, and it made me feel even dizzier. I find the whole movie darker and more disturbing than Kermit's alternate reality in VMX. Even though I found out what Rave Monkeys sucking on pacifiers means (give you a hint... it's very illegal and something Sam would never do which causes them to grind their teeth), at least we can take solace that the scene in VMX was to disturb Kermit. There's NO excuse for MOz Being disturbing.

I feel that MFS is underrated. I just watched it again. The singing isn't really missed, or it wouldn't be, if we didn't have to listen to funk. But really, I love it, it's awesome. I also feel Kermit's Swamp Years is underrated.​
MFS could have been a good movie if the director didn't screw it up... but that can be said for most movies. I want to know the logic of having the Muppets sing something ruin the emotional carriage of the movie, while random funk tracks that don't fit with the movie at all were considered more acceptable. But it's a very good Gonzo movie. It's a very good Gonzo story that had some great depth that the director tried very VERY hard to crush.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I feel that MFS is underrated. I just watched it again. The singing isn't really missed, or it wouldn't be, if we didn't have to listen to funk. But really, I love it, it's awesome. I also feel Kermit's Swamp Years is underrated.
I agree that MFS is underrated. I watched it last week for the first time in a few years, and although I did miss having Muppets signing, I still really enjoyed it!

I haven't ever watched Kermit's Swamp Years, but brought it a couple of weeks ago, as I saw it for £2. I'll watch it soon!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Kermit's Swamp years IMO wasn't terrible, I mean I didn't think it was good but it wasn't so bad that I wanted to throw it out the window like mumbles "wizard of oz" lol! It had good parts in it.

I mainly just bought it to have it in my Muppet collection. :big_grin:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I already like you :big_grin:

Borples

Reaction score
This is all subjective, of course. I see MFS has already been covered, so I don't have to come to its defense. :smile: What about Muppets Tonight? Outside of the fandom, no one even seems to remember that show existed. It had some big guest stars, some great new characters, some laugh-out-loud moments, some (well, a few, anyway) iconic musical numbers, and lots of general Muppetness. It also had its problems and missteps, but it didn't deserve the treatment it got from ABC or its early cancellation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets Tonight was a show even the writers had trouble with... and once they finally got on track of what they wanted for a series, thing got canceled.

I find Muppets Tonight a flawed masterpiece. There were a lot of strong concepts that somehow didn't gel right. Clifford was made host to make it look like a late night talk show... but with sketches, and more sketches than talk. Some of the skits worked beautifully, but unfortunately, most of those were UK specific skits. There's a lot of GREAT pop culture jokes like Seinfeld Babies and Co-dependance Day... even Kermit's Once in a Life Time cover. But there's stuff that was clunky and didn't work... Deep Dish Nine, Bay of Pigs Watch. Basically anything with the Pigs (except for The Tubbsmith segment... but UK only, again). But when they did those brilliant second season episodes that took characters out of the theater and gave them deeper storylines like when Beaker left for the Star Trek Cruise and Bunsen was just a miserable wretch (try and tell me they're not more than lab partners after that), and the series finale, Johnny leaves Home... that stuff, I hate to admit, was a lot deeper than what they could do on the Muppet show. Just for that one little aspect of taking the characters out of the theater.

Too bad ABC basically didn't want it anywhere in the schedule.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Me and my family adore Muppet Treasure Island, so I was really surprised when a lot of people either said it was boring or that the last good Muppet production was Muppet Christmas Carol. Okay, so Jim Hawkins could've been better, but for what it was, it was an okay performance. And I never got the modern-rat-tourists running gag, but it still made me laugh. Aside from that, it's a great movie! It has great songs, a good script and has both the goofiness and randomness of the Muppets while staying true to Treasure Island. And c'mon! Tim Curry, Billy Connolly and Jenifer Sanders! Need I say more?