1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Is this a Henson Creature Shop puppet on eBay?

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by mupcollector1, May 21, 2013.

1. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I never saw that puppet before. It may or may not be a Henson character. Maybe, this came from another puppet company.

mupcollector1 likes this.
  3. mupcollector1

That's what I originally thought.

4. FrackleFan2012

Well, according to the Jim Henson Company, they can't lend, give away, or sell characters made for and used in Henson productions.http://www.henson.com/faq.php

5. mupcollector1

True, however I have seen some rare Muppet / Henson props that were possibly given to an employee who probably gave it to someone in which they sold on eBay. I've seen someone sell an actual Fraggle from Fraggle Rock, a background Fraggle. I've seen a warn out Doozer and a disintegrating Miss Piggy head (don't remember if that was sold or not, but I have seen pictures of it somewhere. But technically with any prop (usually in the Movie Prop websites), it's legal if there's a signature of authorization or something like that.

6. FrackleFan2012

Woah! Can I see that picture of that background Fraggle?

7. mupcollector1

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  8. FrackleFan2012

Wow! I can't believe this is in mint condition. :)
    I'm really glad that these handlers preserved this Fraggle really well.

9. mupcollector1

It's quite possible that the Jim Henson Muppet Workshop (or Puppet workshop / Creature Shop division now a days) probably fixed it up for the employee that it was originally given too. I knew someone who started a puppet museum and Jim Henson gave the very Scooter that was used in one of the 1980s Muppet exhibits, plus Jim joked that this person kind of looked like Scooter in a way. I even had the honer to carry it to a table. It was amazing. Scooter had a pencil in his ear and a clipboard that listed the playhouse Muppet videos on there. I think it could have been a Scooter that was used in the 1980s because it was the half version of him. But still a Photo Puppet sort of. It's hard to tell.

10. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

I went to meet that fraggle. He was amazing. He's not for sale, but they had been offered huge amounts for him and declined!!

[​IMG]

They also have a Sir Didymus head and Fizgig!!

Chris

mupcollector1 and FrackleFan2012 like this.
  11. mupcollector1

Awesome. I love Sir Didymus, he was probably the most amazing high tech hand puppet ever built with all those remote control facial features and stuff like that. I'm still amazed and would like to know how the Creature Shop did that. Spitting Image from what I've read wanted to do that kind to technology back in 1983 but found out it would be too expensive so they found an alternative instead. I think I remember seeing the head of Sir Didymus and Fizgig on that Movie Prop site.

12. ButchCat

ButchCat Active Member

Hi Guys,

I think I've said this before but this is a Fraggle. The real thing. I know because I had my hand in this one back in the 80's. This was used as the young Storyteller Fraggle for the episode "Born to Wonder" in which I played both young and old Storyteller. The body hair and eyes where changed to become several different background Fraggles. All of the background Fraggles had changeable features. Including my background Fraggle Morris who became different Fraggles a few times but mostly I kept Morris as he was with Glasses and short hair.

Now how that puppet ended up from Toronto to England is beyond me. Perhaps it was one of the two Fraggles that where stolen a few weeks before we had wrapped for good. The other was an orange Fraggle named Herkimer Fraggle from the episode "The Riddle Of Rhyming Rock" Another episode that I played both Young and old Storyteller Fraggle.

It looks like the puppet has held up pretty good after all these years. Take care all,

Terry Angus

13. mupcollector1

Hi Terry, I've think I've heard your name before. It's an honor to be chatting with you on the forum. I remember noticing that some Muppeteers hang out here with us fans. It's Really cool. :)

Didn't Richard Hunt originally perform The Storyteller Fraggle? I remember the episode with Sir Blunderbrain. One of my favorites. I still need to see more Fraggle Rock. I'm surprised there was Fraggles that got stolen on the set. I've heard someone similar happened when the show Greg the Bunny ended. I never knew there was Fraggles with changeable faces, kind of like Whatnots in a way.
    Plus there was background characters from Fraggle Rock that ended up getting recycled for Muppet Movies, Mopatop Shop and Muppets Tonight.

14. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Hey terry. I don't think anyone is disputing if this Fraggle is real. They are confused if the dog puppet on eBay which you can view by clicking the lnk in the thread at the top of this page is a real Henson puppet??

Hope you are well.

Chris

15. mupcollector1

Right, I'm not sure if it's something from Henson Alternative or something like that.

16. FrackleFan2012

Thanks for sharing, Terry. Now we learn more about that Fraggle puppet.

17. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Yay! Terry is still on here.

Also I have definitely seen authentic Muppet/Jim Henson related puppets and props on ebay in the 16 years I've been on there. Always though, way out of my price range. Heck the darn original Electric Mayhem bus was on ebay.

18. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Terry Angus gets a shout out in this video!

19. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for shedding some light on this, Terry. I never knew that Fraggles were so Whatnot-ish. It makes sense when you look at it from a budgetary point of view, though. I have only spotted one repurposing before: the little yellow Fraggle at the beginning of season 1 who got new eyes and became Marlon. And, now that I think about it, there's a Fraggle in the background when Gobo sings the Glory Song in The Day The Music Died who looks like Sidebottom. It might have been him after all!