1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Is this true about Steve Whitmire?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by bobhopesite, Jul 18, 2004.

1. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

It was reading a website and it said.

This was the first major Muppet project after the death of creator Jim Henson. Henson had performed Kermit and the role was now being handed down to Steve Whitmire. According to Whitmire he was incredibly nervous about taking over such an iconic character. The night before he had to go record Kermit's songs for the movie, he had a dream where he met Jim Henson in a hotel lobby and told him how unsure he was. In the dream, Henson reassured Whitmire that the feeling would pass. After waking up, Whitmire was confident and able to do the part.

Is this true?

I got it from:
    http://www.movietome.com/movietome/servlet/MoviePage2/movieid-48735/The_Muppet_Christmas_Carol/
  2. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

According to his interview on this site (specific answer found about a quarter or a third of the way down the page here), it's true.

-Kim
  3. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

Thats pretty amazing. I think theres something in that. Maybe Steve was meant to take over Kermit, They share the same birthday which is pretty amazing too.
  4. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

That's funny, I JUST read that today in IMDb.com, I think that's a really neat little story :)
  5. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

You know, a few weeks after Jim Henson's death. I too had a dream that I met Jim Henson and he showed me a film about how he does his work and it made me feel a little better after that.

It's almost like Jim's angel can visit peoples' dreams and give them the courage and confidence to go on with life and achieve your hopes and dreams. :)
  6. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

Just like he could in real life
  7. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

There's another interview with Steve around somewhere where he talks about a meeting with Jim (the last time he ever saw him) a few weeks before his passing. Jim told Steve that he was upset that Steve had so few characters to perform, and wanted to try and find him someone to play. Steve then said "I guess he found a way" or something to that effect.
  8. Iggy35

Iggy35 Member

I was in a shop the other day trying to decide between two shirts.
    Jim appeared and suggested I buy the blue one.
    so I did,.....and I've never looked back!

IGGY35
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Listen to this disturbing Steve Whitmire story I heard today...

I was sitting in my cartooning class (yeah, in homeschool we have these cool classes). And all of the sudden, my table got into a conversation about Muppets. The guy sitting next to me started this weird story that went a little something like this..."I heard that the guy who now does the voice of Kermit hides a demon, that he let loose to kill the other cast members."

I couldn't believe my ears! How could someone, who claims he's a Muppet fan, talk about Steve like this? I was offended.
  10. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

No offense, but what Steve said was very important considering the circumstances and I think it's not a good idea to make fun of it.
  11. Iggy35

Iggy35 Member

Oh, lighten up!

IGGY35

12. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

ok Steve is very serious about taking over such a task as being kermit. I honestly think he has done a wonderfull job and should really not be taken lightly all the wonderfull work he has done with Kermit. He is even still being able to keep the good conection betewn Kermit and Piggy which i thought would fade away because i just didnt think that Steve and Frank where a good pair. but with Eric i think there is hope.
  13. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

When the news came that Steve would be taking over Jim's puppets,I wondered if he would be able to. I think that obviously Steve is no Jim,but I think he's done a pretty good job so far keeping Jim's characters alive,the best way he knows how.I'm very proud of Steve,always loved his work.:)
  14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Uch, very funny.

Really.

It is.
  15. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I remember Steve was talking at Muppetfest about trying to perform Kermit for the first time, and not being able to do it.Then he remembered that Jim made funny mouth movements while performing Kermit, so he did them and then that made him able to do Kermit.
  16. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

He talks about that in Muppet Live too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wYbdt7EU8
  17. Borples

Borples Active Member

You know what I love about the dream story? Besides everything? I love that Jim was all busy and distracted. From all we know of him, it seems like he wouldn't want to "rest in peace." I like to think that he still has important things to do.

All of the stories about how Steve was able to take over Kermit are fascinating to me. Not only that, but the fact that he was available to do so. If you look at his history with the Muppets, it's pretty clear that Jim was grooming him to be a main Muppet performer from the moment he hired him--or at least from not very long after. He was part of every major Muppet production after that. Nobody could have known what was going to happen, but there Steve was, a main performer without a main character. And then he just happened to be able to perform Kermit ("just happened," after a lot of hard work, but still). Dave Goelz described it as a "miracle" once, and I don't think that's too far off.
    Muppet fan 123 and Puckrox like this.
  18. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I think Steve's done an excellent job performing Kermit.
    Puckrox likes this.