1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Convincing John, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Well OK I just got some news, Steve Whitmire was there to celebrate the event for Caroll Spinney’s retirement.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's excellent news, considering the strong probability that he was actually fired from the show, rather than leave on his own terms.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  3. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Well-Known Member

Well that is surprising, but then again Steve Whitmire had no ill will towards Caroll Spinney.

However, I do wonder if Whitmire was there, then what of the likes of Kevin Clash and Joey Mazzarino ?

Would Joey at least try to show up for Carol Spinney's retirement party ?

Was Frank Oz even there ? I mean even though Frank OZ sometimes appears once per Sesame Street Season, but surely he would have made an attempt to go, right ?

I would also have been surprised if any of Jim Henson's kids showed up for this!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Froggy Fool likes this.
  4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I was always positive Steve chose to leave so he could focus on more Muppet Show stuff.

5. MuppetSpot

I don’t think Joey or Kevin were there because they have moved to LA now and Steve was let go from Sesame Street because, of budget issues and he wasn’t the only one laid off.

cahuenga likes this.
  6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

7. ssetta

ssetta Well-Known Member

This may seem a bit weird, but I totally got thinking of thing song, more appropriate now than ever.

Pig's Laundry and LittleJerry92 like this.
  8. antsamthompson9

Adorkable Rachel made this:

Pig's Laundry and LittleJerry92 like this.
  9. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Well-Known Member

So obviously Caroll will be in season 50. Does anyone know if he participated at all in season 49?

10. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. We know he was at least on set during taping, because that's when they did the tribute to him last year on Below the Frame.

11. antsamthompson9

Looking at Rick Lyon's personal Facebook page, he was there at the retirement party, which is very interesting.

12. MuppetSpot

Interesting how both Steve Whitmire and Rick Lyon were there.

cahuenga and LittleJerry92 like this.
  13. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about former Sesame Street Cast members coming to Caroll Spinney's retirement party... Makes me wonder if Buffy Sainte-Marie, Buffy of the Sesame Street 70's shows, was there or made a video message?

I ask this question given that in her recent Biography, Buffy dedicated a chapter of the book to her time on Sesame Street and even mentioned how impressed she was working with Caroll Spinney at the time.

14. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Well-Known Member

What would be totally cool is if they did an updated version of that song. Since that was back in 1999. where one of the guys kids in that song now in fact has a toddler of their own and the song could be about 3 generations of big bird.