It's Official: Disney completes Muppet acquisition

blackurth

Reaction score

I'm mixed on this one,I know that disney would release a bunch of blankets and pillows and dolls but when we get a new movie I'm afraid of getting "muppets in space 2" or something like that...

McFraggle

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
HEY!!!!! :smirk: Brother Bear WAZ classic Disney story Telling....if ya ask me or ANY other Disney fan! :excited: :excited: :halo:
I think Lilo & Stitch, Mulan, Fantasia 2000, and Tarzan stack up right against most of the older classics. The company gets a bad rap but it has had a lot of good movies in the recent past.

beaker

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
I think Lilo & Stitch, Mulan, Fantasia 2000, and Tarzan stack up right against most of the older classics. The company gets a bad rap but it has had a lot of good movies in the recent past.
I will say Emperor's New Groove, Fantasia 2000, and Tarzan are the best looking/coolest Disney animated features Ive seen ever. Sorry to the purists.
The 90's was badddddd tho. Hurcules, Hunchback, Beauty, Pochahontas, etc.
*shivers* Aladdin was cool, if only for Robin Williams.
The last two Disney animated films have been boring forgettable cowboys and Indian films...what is this the 50's? I say rerelease Song of the South on IMAX.

I LOVE Bear in the big Blue House...so I have complete confidence Disney will be good with reviving that property, given it was practically theres anyways. But Muppets...mmm...itll be sad to go to Henson.com and see nothing about Muppets....not that anyone went to that crappy flash site.

Isnt it so awesome how all the Muppet brands like Sesame, Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock are all split up between companies? Oh yeah, its just so cool:frown: to think, 6 years ago things seemed to hopeful on here.
Well, as someone said, time will indeed tell. The Wizard of Oz thing is a bad indication. Its too bad it had to be like this, JHC selling what makes em JHC.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot about Emperor's New Groove, it is right up there too. I agree with you about the 90s save for Beauty which I thought was a really good movie. Robin Williams pushed Aladdin from being an okay film to a pretty good one. The Lion King is a great film, if slightly overrated.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
You know what I say?

I say that all you guys have been moaning, whining and saying how bad it could be with Disney owning the Muppets... for like 3 years now!

Seeing as Disney owns the Muppets now, is this going to be the attitude and mood from now on in Online Muppet Land? If so, I dont want to be here.

Ive been optimistic all the time, I love what Disney did with the Muppets when they got the chance. So, Im just looking forward and trying to think positive thoughts.

There isnt one thing you can do about the sale now, its finalised. So instaed of predicting impending doom, Why not just think of the good that could come out of this?

< Insert Boober Smilie Here >

Beebers

Reaction score
I've said elsewhere that while I'm not a big Disney fan I'm willing to see what happens, and I'm grateful for the body of Muppet/Henson work we already have to enjoy. A nice surprise the other day was channel surfing and finding a Muppet film running, that's the first tangible Disney influence I've run across so far. And I do have a feeling that Henson itself is going to come up with marvelous new things down the road. I'm willing to let time do its work and see what happens. I'm inclined to agree with Warrick, zee funeral has probably gone on long enough and perhaps it's time to look ahead lol.

:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just typed in some responses and the post was too long. Here's basically what it said:
Pauly gave me hope by reminding me that they DID mention "The deal also includes non-exclusive production and consulting agreements under which The Jim Henson Company is expected to develop potential new programming featuring the "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House" for Disney." I hope they get the ball rolling on this, because (if memory serves correct) the Disney/Henson consulting agreement is only for a year, right? Someone help me here.

Not all of the things Disney does stinks. I for one did like The Lion King, LOVED Hunchback (very dark and dramatic). I have to agree that their original release of film titles are classic-quality and good Disney story-telling (Heck, The Black Cauldron and Atlantis are similar in the story-telling mood; Lion King and Jungle Book could kinda match up, but I love Jungle Book better). It's those darn sequels that get kinda smelly. Then again, Toy Story 2 and Lion King 1.5 both are well acclaimed sequels.

AMickeyMuppet, I'm glad to know that Disney FINALLY got more boyish merchandise. When I worked at the Disney Store it was mostly all girl stuff with the occasional action figures or boyish costumes at halloween. This is awesome! Your screenname reminds me of a letter I sent to Disney once when I was a kid and I asked them why not have Mickey and Gang made as puppets by Jim Henson, and they responded that Mickey and gang have only ever been animated and that's the integrity they have to uphold; however, Eisner's statements (?-it was in the article) stated that they will be devloping 3D CGI stuff with the Muppets, which makes me worry. We were promised by the Creature Shop folks at MuppetFest they would never do that, but with it out of their control it's a promise that Disney may or may not keep. Eek.

Warrick, who loves ya, baby? *smooch* :smile: I'm not trying to play doomsayer, I'm just stating that here's the likelihood based on my own personal fears. Everyone knows that Disney is like a kid on Christmas morning: they get something new and in a few days forgets about it. And you know what even starts my rants about Disney being a bad child? It's not even about the Muppets! Really, I complain because I see what they've done to Mickey and Friends.

Did you know there is now a project in the Walt Dizzy Company to try to reconnect to Mickey and find out who is was supposed to be because, after using him for a corporate symbol for so long, they've lost sight of his character? He was aggressive and mean when necessary when he first started out; now he's a shy subservient character. The GOOD thing about it is that they ARE working on him which hopefully means they'll begin doing bigger, better things with their own characters. But, what ever happened to Roger Rabbit? Where's the properties for Doug or other titles they purchased that they did a big run on and a few years later forgot about? See? That's what I worry about. But, I also don't get cable so I don't know what they're doing at The Disney Channel, and I don't travel so I'm unsure about the parks. Catch me up to speed here, someone.

I have also stated that I pray they prove me wrong. I hope hope hope beyond hope that they do. Disney has surprised me a few times in the past, and I look forward to being surprised again. If you work for them, then you know you can get disenchanted by them; if you never have or don't, then you won't understand it. Looking from the inside out it's not the same Disney, even if you with multiple guest service awards, the coveted Disney Spirit Award, and work there 5 years until you can't take it anymore.

I also saw someone post once that Disney doesn't listen to their fans; but then I had to remind them of the whole early 90's JHC thing when we had no Muppets. (I can be a hipocrite).

But, in this section of the company I hope to see something good finally come out of it and that I'm proven dead wrong about my fears.

It's like I also said somewhere else on these boards (and which puts me into the hipocrite-catch 22 status): I really couldn't see a company buying something so dear to the American culture (WORLD culture actually) and only using it for a little while and then putting it on the shelf. I just have a fear of what they might forget to do more than anything. But as long as they remember, we should be okay as Muppet fans.

ftnpro

Reaction score
Having the Muppets owned by Disney HAS to be better than having them owned by some bankrupt German media conglomerate, right? (Please be right...)

It's clear that the Muppets will never be the wellspring of creativity they were when Jim Henson was around. The best thing we can hope for is that Disney continues to utilize the Muppet puppeteers, writers and directors that have really do have some history with the Muppets, plus great new performers like Bill Baretta and Eric Jacobsen. The day that Disney replaces Steve Whitmire to cut costs is the day we should all protest in the streets!

(Hmmm, does making a CG Muppet project qualify as replacing Steve Whitmire? I'll have to think about that one...)

Stulz

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
But, what ever happened to Roger Rabbit?
From what I read Disney wants to do more with this character but he is co-owned by Touchtone and Amblin (Steven Spielberg's prodction company). Since Speilbleg and Amblim now work under Dreamworks (After all it is partly his company: He's the S in the SKG).

Because of this there are many legal issues with using these characters to make new projects at the moment.

I personally wish they can settle these issues and get over it. The shorts they made in the early 90's are fantastic!!

:grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am up there with all you guys... I cannot tell if thids is a bad or good thing. Hopefully CGI themepark attractions are the ONLY time they use CGI's.... and I hope even if they do, it's puppet CGI hybrid (like JHH).

I pretty much do not know how to feel.... I feel... :grouchy: ... and :eek: ... and :boo: ... and :confused: ... I want to feel :big_grin: , but I guess everythings all "wait and See."

If it means we FINALLY see new Muppet projects, I'm for it. If it's just a vanity buy to make lousy collectibles (and knowing me, I'll get a couple), then I'm darn opposed to the whole thing........