It's Veterans' Day

Beebers

Reaction score
Please take a moment out of the day to acknowledge and honor all American Veterans past and present, and those currently in service, to whom we owe the eternal and unpayable debt of our comforts, safety, and freedoms.

:attitude: :attitude: :attitude:

There is an absolutely true saying - "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a Veteran."

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread Beebers.It's also my brother's birthday too.

*silent prayer for the fallen heroes*

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
thank you too all that fought for the freedom of us and others amen

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score

Handful (30) of Veterans Left Who Remember Armistice Day WWI

oldest so far 104

Long-lived veterans are common among America's warriors. The last veteran to fight in the American Revolution died at age 109 in 1869, according to Defense Department statistics.

Other wars and the ages of their last veterans the year they died: the War of 1812, 105, 1905; the Indian Wars, 101, 1973; the Mexican War, 98, 1929; the Civil War, 112, 1958; and the Spanish-American War, 106, 1992.

F

furryredmonster

Thank YOu!!!!

In geography we had to say why is veterans day so important.... I did not know what it was :embarrased:

jediX

Reaction score
In the house I lived in until 1995, we lived next to an older couple that acted as surrogate grandparents since mine lived far away. My "Grandpa" was in WWII, along with my technical Grandpa.

So, a few years ago, I decided to make a tribute to my "Grandpa" by interviewing him and writing down his memories of being in D-Day and a few other battles in Europe. My high school history department liked it so much that they took a copy of it and kept it for their records to use to teach WWII in future classes. If anyone is interested in reading, you can read it here:

http://mhohnstein.tripod.com/writes/glenn.htm

WARNING: Though it isn't graphically violent or profane, it contains emotionally-intense stories. After all, it IS about being in a war...

Every time I go over and visit them, I thank him for what he did.

Xerus

Reaction score
And I too salute the brave war heroes on this Veterans' Day.

I think there should be a Veterans' Day front banner on this site. Maybe show a battlefield and the Muppet soldiers from the, "Why Can't We Be Friends?", skit should appear. Just a thought to honor Veterans' Day.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
In Canada today is called Remembrance Day. We all wear poppies to remember the wars and all the soldiers lost. Lest we Forget.

"In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields. "

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

Interesting note, a stanza of this poem is on the 10-dollar bill.