Jack Burns

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Speaking of people who wrote for the Muppets, on a happier note...

Two weeks ago, I met Jack Burns! I swear I thought he had passed away. I vividly remember hearing about it. But there he was in the flesh and looking good. His hair is all white now, but that's still better than being dead (hee hee).

George Carlin was at the same event and when they were first starting out in show business, the two of them were a comedy team. It was great to see the mini-reunion as they saw each other for the first time in many, many years.

:stick_out_tongue:

dizzyizzy

Reaction score
Could you possibly tell me who Jack Burns and George Carlin are and what they do? I don't really know much about any of the writers. Thanks, that'd be helpful! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Jack Burns was part of a comedy team called Burns and Schriever, with the other half of that team being Avery Schriver, who guest starred on The Muppet Show in the first season. Jack Burns was also the head writer during the first season of The Muppet Show, and he helped write the first two muppet movies. I don't know why he stopped writing for The Muppet Show (nor do I know why he wasn't a guest star, since he was a writer and a well-known celebrity).

George Carlin is a comedian, known for his "Seven words you can't say on TV" routine (I think thats a routine). he hosted the very first episode of Saturday Night Live and appeared in both Bill & Ted movies. He was never involved with the muppets. The only time I can think of that George carlin worked with the Muppets was when he hosted Saturday Night Live, and he didn't appear alongside the muppets.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember Jack and Avery had this comedy line they usually say a lot.

"You know what I mean?"
"Yeah!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah!"
"Huh?"

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Two weeks ago, I met Jack Burns! I swear I thought he had passed away. I vividly remember hearing about it.
Same here! I remember reading about the death of "Jack Burns" in the paper a number of years ago. I guess it was another Jack Burns.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
Didn't Fozzie and Avery do that bit too?
Yep, as a tribute to Jack.

Was Once Ernie said:
Two weeks ago, I met Jack Burns!
And so begins another great story from Was Once Ernie. :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Come on, WOE! Tell us what was going on and where? Was Avery there, too?

Or did he choke on a Dorito or something..?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Well, I sincerely hope Avery Schreiber wasn't there as he died in 2002.

And speaking of death (RIMSHOT!)...

The occasion was the memorial service for Pat McCormick, a very funny writer and performer. Besides Carlin and Burns, there was a who's who of 1960's and 70's comedians and actors there.

Jack Riley (Mr. Karlin on "The Bob Newhart Show") was the host. Just some of the speakers were: Chuck McCann, Thom Sharp, Dick Gautier, Marty Ingels, Gary Owens, Paul Williams, Ronnie Schell, Henry Gibson, Shelly Berman, Fred Willard, Buck Henry, Paul Mazursky and Peter Funt and his brother, Bill.

Some others that were there that didn't speak were: Shirley Jones, Tom Poston, Suzanne Pleshette, Pat Harrington, Carl Reiner, Jim MacGeorge, Peter Marshall, JoAnne Worley and Jack Sheldon ("I'm just a bill") played the trumpet.

They also showed clips of Pat on Candid Camera and being interviewed while wearing a giant turkey costume by Johnny Carson. It was a hilarious evening, if a bit too long.

:stick_out_tongue: