1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

James Camerons blue Gelflings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Was Cameron inspired by Dark Crystal?
  2. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

There were a couple of scenes RIGHT OUT OF THE DARK CRYSTAL. Namely "when Jake Sully is walking in the forest initially and is looking at the those strange plants that then disappear quickly, much like Jen in TDC." Also, " When Neytiri (sp?) and Jake wake up together on the forest floor. They embrace each other the exact same way, and you can hear Jake Sully's voice over as his eyes open." Classic throwback to The Dark Crystal.
  3. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes, interesting. Would love to know if that was intentionally?
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm sure Cameron researched everything he could get his hands on - especially the Dark Crystal. It's a world without any humans. That's rare for film. :scary:
  5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

So, that's how you make a movie! Steal a world from The Dark Crystal and steal your story from Disney's Atlantis. It's genius!

:scary:

... Actually, I kinda liked Avatar.
  6. rurulesunc

rurulesunc New Member

Hello all.

I worked on Avatar and actually helped to design Pandora. The helicordian glade (the pink plants that you refer to) were in the initial script as it was handed to me. There are definitely things that are similar to Dark Crystal. Im not sure whether Jim used DC as reference or not. It was a very cool project to work on and I hope that you enjoyed it.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:super: You guys did a fantastic job and made a nearly three-hour-long film zoom right by in beautiful color. Heck, I didn't even see it in the 3D and I was amazed. One of my friends who doesn't like movies that much said Avatar was the best thing he's seen in years.

(Maybe someone from your department should give a call up to the Zemekis people. His graphics need *a lot* of work. :o)
  8. rurulesunc

rurulesunc New Member

Ha ha ha. Several of us actually work for Zemeckis now... I will reserve making statements that could hurt my job. :)
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:o Oops! Well, that's a good thing. He needs you. Those Polar Express corpse children still give me nightmares. I'm glad the technology has moved forward after Avatar. Truly amazing film effects that emote. :flirt:
  10. SuzieChan

SuzieChan New Member

Hehe... I was waiting 'till someone's gonna bring this topic up.

I also couldn't help but notice a major likeness between Na'vi and Gelflings, not only physical. Just like Gelflings, Na'vi are peaceful creatures (though Na'vi, being very protective towards their clan and family, tend to be aggressive towards their attackers) who celebrate their love for nature through song, dance and stories.
    Also the bond their create with their holy trees, animals and each other kind of resembles dreamfasting.

They also seem to have some traits of the Podlings as they have deep respect for the nature that surrounds them and also communicate with their animals.

rurulesunc, right now I envy you so much - that you've been working on what is, probably, one of the best Sci-Fi movies in history. You all guys did a wonderful job bringing the world of Pandora to life, and for this I thank you very much :). I swear, if this movie's not gonna get at least one Oscar, I'm probably gonna go insane. :p

I've got one question for you: are also gonna work on the sequel to Avatar?
  11. rurulesunc

rurulesunc New Member

Suzie,

Im really hoping that I will get to work on it. I believe that it will be a while before production starts up again though.
  12. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

I thought it was Pocahontas! Lol...

I did like the movie though.
  13. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes POCAHONTAS ... true.

BTW the Navi s hands also have 4 fingers !
  14. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

wow.

Not one thing in that movie reminded me of TDC. All I kept thinking was...Pocahontas.....over and over again. The storyline bored the **** out of me, but the design was fantastic.

But regardless, I didn't feel or see any resemblance or nod to TDC what-so-ever.
  15. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

The Dark Crystal? Hmm- I guess I could see that. I'm not sure about Pocahontas. I think Avatar was mainly a rip-off from the Smurfs though.;)
  16. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

"Not sure about Pocahontas"?

Its the EXACT story, beat by beat practically. One of the reasons I could not stand it. Its a story you've seen a million times so much so, its practically mind numbing.
  17. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

But at least Pocahontas is based somewhat on historical fact. (Although obviously changed to suit the story and highly dramatized and so forth.) In any case, I can't really say for sure until I see the movie. I'm just going by my impressions of previews and such.
  18. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

Cabbageheat, you weren't paying attention if you didn't pick up on a couple of the obvious homages......namely, when the N'avi version of Jake Sully explored the forest, and walks into the spiraling leaves of that plant and they quickly disappear EXACTLY like the more rudimentary plants did when Jen walked by them in TDC.

The next homage came when the camera pans to Neytiri & Jakesully waking up on the forest floor, embraced in the exact same way Kira & Jen were. Neytiri's eyes open first amid Jakesully's voiceover, EXACTLY the same way it happened when Jen & Kira awaken in front of the Gelfling ruins.
  19. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

Nah. I was paying attention. I can see it "now", but not during, sorry, but TDC was the furthest thing in or on my mind at the time of viewing.

Plus, what came to me was just the obvious: a poorly written story, bad dialogue, plot points you can see coming in your sleep, and a story that has been told so many times, its just boring to watch. But, it did have great design. As always with Cameron films.

For those who loved it, great. For those who saw countless TDC references, well, I have serious doubts, though some elements may have "mimicked" certain shots or encounters. I dont' think that has anything to do with Jims film or was influenced in any way by it (as in movement/camera angles/character reactions). I think it was coincidence, nothing more.
  20. Jeffboy

Jeffboy New Member

Just an FYI, it wasn't Pocahontas, or Atlantis which itself was a rip-off of Nadia, secret of the blue water...

Avatar = Ferngully the last rainforest. :D