James Coburn Dies at age 74

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Well, he's kind of a Henson person, with a cameo in TMM and Muppet Show episode under his belt. This thread will probably be moved....

James Coburn passed away today at the age of 74. He died of a heart attack at home while listening to music.

See the full article at Yahoo News

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the news.

He'll be missed.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Actor Jams Coburn dies

James Coburn died a few days ago from a heartattack. Coburn made films including the nutty professor with eddie murphy, maverick with mel gibson, and monsters inc. he even did a special with other stars called i love muppets. coburn won an oscar for best supporting actor in the movie affliction that came out a few years ago. go to www.imdb.com to find more information about him.
ryan

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan,

I moved your post to this discussion that jeremyactor started earlier today.

Sunshineboz

Reaction score
I'll remember James best by the "...Flint" films. I loved his voice and menacing look. Could have been Clint Eastwood's brother or dad.

He rocked.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just copied the article here...

Oscar-Winner James Coburn Dies at 74
Tue Nov 19,12:23 AM ET

By JOHN ROGERS, Associated Press Writer

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Actor James Coburn (news), who took on the role of the tough guy in such films as "Our Man Flint" and "The Magnificent Seven," but whose anguished portrayal of an abusive father in "Affliction" finally earned him an Oscar, died Monday. He was 74. Coburn died of a heart attack at home while listening to music with his wife, said his manager, Hillard Elkins.

Coburn won the Academy Award for best supporting actor for the 1998 film after overcoming a 10-year struggle with arthritis that left one hand crippled.

Despite those earlier physical problems he had been upbeat and working regularly, Elkins said Monday night. Most recently, he appeared in the new film "The Man From Elysian Fields" and finished another called "American Gun."

"And I have five or six scripts I've got to get out of my office because he can't shoot them now," said Elkins, his voice breaking.

Born in Laurel, Neb., on Aug. 31, 1928, Coburn studied acting in Los Angeles and with Stella Adler in New York

He appeared on stage in New York and in such dramatic television series as "Studio One" and "General Electric Theatre" in the 1950s.

He made his movie debut in "Ride Lonesome" in 1959, following it with another Western, "Face of a Fugitive," the same year.

He caught the public's attention the following year, when he played knife-throwing Britt in the epic Western "The Magnificent Seven."

Although he had few lines compared with his other macho co-stars, who included Yul Brynner (news), Eli Wallach (news) and Steve McQueen, film historian Leonard Maltin noted Coburn's mere screen presence grabbed the public's attention.

"He was a guy who looked like he was casual, but he studied and he worked and he understood character," Elkins said of Coburn's success.

"He was a **** of an actor, he had a great sense of humor and those performances will be remembered for a very long time," he added.

After "The Magnificent Seven," Coburn played sidekicks and villains until the late 1960s when he cashed in on the James Bond mania with the humorous spy spoofs "Our Man Flint" and "In Like Flint."

Such films as "The President's Analyst," which he also produced, the World War II escape epic "The Great Escape" and "Goldengirl" followed.

In the 1980s he all but disappeared from the screen with the onset of arthritis. He said he "healed himself" with pills that had a sulfur base. His knuckles remained gnarled, but he said in a 1999 interview with The Associated Press that the pain was gone.

He said then, when the film roles weren't coming, "I've been reading a lot of stuff. I want to go to work. It's what I do best; it's the only thing I can really do.

"Actors are boring when they're not working, it's a natural condition, because they don't have anything to do, they just lay around and that's why so many of them get drunk. They really get to be boring people. My wife will attest to that," he said with a hearty laugh.

Finally able to work again, he capped his career with an Oscar for a supporting role, after playing leads for most of his life. He portrayed Glen Whitehouse, the abusive father to Nick Nolte (news)'s cop character.

It was his only Oscar nomination, and it came after about 80 films.

"I've been working and doing this work for, like, over half my life and I finally got one right I guess," he said in his acceptance speech.

"Some of them you do for money, some of them you do for love," he added. "This is a love child,"

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Hey, I was just watching the James Coburn episode of the MS in memory of him, and I noticed something really funny at the end of the episode. When They've said goodbye and the credits are starting to come up, if you look at the blue guy from the "Speakeasy" sketch at the right of the screen, you can see his left eye come off!!! There's a big white patch like the adhiesive that held it on or something. Obviously he's an Anything Muppet.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
ohh, that's upsetting news. I love his ep of the Muppet show! he will be missed, he was also the voice of Waternoos the spider like monster on pixar's Monster INC.

Zack, I know, i'm late.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
RIP James Coburn

Rest in Peace James Coburn.From my first glimpse of watching you meditate with Animal(serenely),rocking back & forth.To TMM Why not complain to the owner?I am the owner.To finally Monsters,Inc. & Affliction. May you truly find peace in the next life Jimmy.We all miss you.-JaniceFerSure

Mr. Watternoose :cry: