Jarrod Boutcher Monster Puppet

Animal31

Reaction score
Love it! I've always wondered where you find the round eyes like that, are they painted white or come that way?

Thanks!

dmoss

Reaction score
Fell in love with it immediately! FANTASTIC work! Hoping to be the last bidder on this one... :smile:

zns

Reaction score
You've done it again Jarrod. The pupils are certainly the best part.

Keeermit

Reaction score
thanks guys - glad u like him ! yeah i like his eyes too :smile:

The eyes are all hand made - usually from any kind of sphere I can find e.g. ping pong balls, cooking molds, plastic spoons , christmas decorations - even some easter ornaments are good becasue of the oval shape. Then I sand it smooth and usually give 2-3 coats of undercoat primer, then 3-4 coats of a white paint . Also depends on what the client will be using the puppet for mainly for Ebay puppets or teaching puppets they are sprayed white but for television or under any kind of bright lights the eyes are given a different treatment so the white doesnt blow out on camera.

dmoss

Reaction score
So glad he sold so well! I had to drop out of the bidding a little shy of $100. Looks like a FANTASTIC success!

Animal31

Reaction score
thanks guys - glad u like him ! yeah i like his eyes too :smile:

The eyes are all hand made - usually from any kind of sphere I can find e.g. ping pong balls, cooking molds, plastic spoons , christmas decorations - even some easter ornaments are good becasue of the oval shape. Then I sand it smooth and usually give 2-3 coats of undercoat primer, then 3-4 coats of a white paint . Also depends on what the client will be using the puppet for mainly for Ebay puppets or teaching puppets they are sprayed white but for television or under any kind of bright lights the eyes are given a different treatment so the white doesnt blow out on camera.
So that explains why sometimes Elmo or Kermit's eyes appear to be more ivory and glassy than white during interviews? I always thought it was maybe they just had a personal puppet they take with them......

Keeermit

Reaction score
Hi Animal - well I'm not sure if henson or sesame workshop do different eyes for different situations e.g. filming or live performances.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Words cannot describe how glad I am with my new knowledge of eye-making.
Maybe I won't have to fork out an arm and a leg ( and an eye) for the live hand I plan on building in the near future.