1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Jason Segel to play the lead in new movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by TheMonsterAteMe, Mar 17, 2010.

?

Who is your favorite human lead in a Muppet movie?

1. Charles Durning as Doc Hopper (The Muppet Movie)

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Charles Grodin as Nicky Holiday (The Great Muppet Caper)

15 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Juliana Donald as Jenny (The Muppets Take Manhattan)

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge (The Muppet Christmas Carol)

22 vote(s)
    28.2%
  5. Tim Curry as Long John Silver (Muppet Treasure Island)

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Jeffrey Tambor as K. Edgar Singer (Muppets From Space)

2 vote(s)
    2.6%

1. TheMonsterAteMe

TheMonsterAteMe Active Member

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

"It is known that Segel plays a man on a quest to find and reunite the Muppets."

Niiiice. This is EXACTLY the plotline I wanted to see in a new film:)
  3. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. And it's good to have a Muppet maniac involved in the film. Less chance of it going awry!
  4. goshposh

goshposh Member

I thought it was a shoo in he was the human lead. He did co write the script.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I still say, if we're still using this script (or a reworked version of it) and Jason is still involved (everything we're getting is mixed) I really hope he has some of his buddyfriends from How I Met Your Mother there. I'd LOVE to see Neil Patrick Harris have some role... he'd make a FUN badguy.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh totally...and I'd so love to see Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill:)
  7. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

Wonderful news!
  8. Svedish_Chef

Svedish_Chef New Member

It was hard going between Tim Curry and Micheal Caine in the poll.
  9. zns

zns Active Member

I'm positively positive that Jason will do a terrific job with acting in the movie as well as writing the screenplay. Because he is very cautious of how he wants to get the Muppets out there again, it is obvious that he will shine along with Kermit and the gang. :)
  10. RyRan75

RyRan75 New Member

From a past "Rolling Stones" article, Jason seems as if he will be very respectful in honoring the Muppet past, especially the original "Muppet Show" characters of the 70's, which are dear to his heart.

Obviously, due to the loss of many great performers, as well as polling trends, we have lost core characters in films/TV specials over the years....hopefully Mr. Segel will honor these characters respectfully.

I would like to see Beauregard, Hilda, Mildred, Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, Nigel, Robin, Uncle Deadly, Wayne & Wanda and Marvin Suggs. All with at least a dozen lines or so just as an introduction to these characters.
  11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well I think he did well with Statlar and Waldorf on Jimmy Fallon abot a year ago, but I would love to see what he does with Kermit and Piggy.
  12. GonzoLover85

GonzoLover85 Member

While I am a fan of his work, both in How I met Your Mother and his films, AND I appreciate that he is a huge muppet fan and will probably do them justice.

I really don't think having a human as the lead is a good idea. It definitely works to have a human play the villain, but I think that the Muppets can and should hold their own as the protagonists.

While it may have worked in past films; MCC and MTI, the muppets were always playing characters, not themselves. I believe a true Muppet movie should be centered around the Muppets.

If the news story is true and the script is Jason is trying to rally the Muppets for a show, in my opinion, Kermit should be the one to do so.

Humans should be limited to villains, extras and cameos in a Muppet film.

Thoughts?
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I do agree with you, but Segel's pointed out in interviews that the human "leads" are based on Jenny and Ronnie from The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not specifically based on those characters, but meaning that that's the kind of "human lead" one could expect.

And I voted for Charles Grodin, though Tim Curry's not getting near enough love in the polls. It was tough to decide between the two.
  14. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Isn't it interesting though that Jenny wasn't a villain or antagonist like the others? And she’s also currently last in our "favorite human" poll. Hmmm...
  15. blackaerin

blackaerin Active Member

wasn't Kevin Bishop also a human lead that wasn't a villain? *is confuzzled*
  16. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I kind of like the idea that the human leads are modeled after these characters. Nice people who want to help the Muppets. Isn't that what we would all be, really? :)
  17. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

And that may be part of the angle Disney is going for - showing many of the humans in the film "liking" and "remembering" the Muppets... so that the audience hopefully experiences the same reflections as the human lead on-screen.
  18. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

That is a very interesting look at things and I never thought of that before.
  19. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Yeah, I like that. Sort of "Hey, aren't the Muppets great? Isn't it great to have them back?" It's a smart approach.
  20. GonzoLover85

GonzoLover85 Member

Looking at it in that light, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. A pretty good marketing tool actually.
    Well, we shall see where this takes us in the months to come.