Jeffrey Scott's book...

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out there, but this past summer, I was at the B&N in Georgetown (Washington DC district) and what did I find? A book by Jeffrey Scott of Muppet Babies fame! I wasn't really looking for it, but Jeffrey Scott's book is called How to Write for Animation. He talks with a lot of gusto, just like his famous grandfather and his brothers, Moe, Curly, and Shemp of the Three Stooges. He also mentions Muppet Babies regularly within the book. I hope this is not old news, but if it is, I sincerely apologize. Just wanted to put this out there for you MB fans who have not picked up this incredible book already.

BJ

Klonoa

Reaction score
Heh, I have a love/hate thing with Jeffrey Scott. One the one hand, he helped write great cartoons like Muppet Babies and TaleSpin (he did DuckTales, too, but I credit Carl Barks old comic stories more than him). But on the other hand, he wrote a lot of crap cartoons like SuperFriends, Pac-Man, Gilligan's Planet (or was that Lou Schiemer?), and tons of others.

--Klonoa

McFraggle

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
Heh, I have a love/hate thing with Jeffrey Scott. One the one hand, he helped write great cartoons like Muppet Babies and TaleSpin (he did DuckTales, too, but I credit Carl Barks old comic stories more than him). But on the other hand, he wrote a lot of crap cartoons like SuperFriends, Pac-Man, Gilligan's Planet (or was that Lou Schiemer?), and tons of others.

--Klonoa
I didn't even know "Gilligan's Planet" existed. :smile:

Klonoa

Reaction score
Someone told me the SuperFriends DVD has audio commentary by Jeffrey Scott.

It's the logic in SuperFriends that gets me.

I LOVE the Pac-Man cartoon, too. I'm a huge Pac-Man fan and I even have a Pac-Man arcade machine in my garage. But man, that cartoon had some really dopey writing on it. But I guess that considering what they had to work with, they could have done much worse. It's not the 'clever' writing that drew me into the Pac-Man cartoon, it just had to have Pac-Man in it (surprisingly, I'm pretty easy to please that way).

In Gilligan's Planet, a cartoon from the late 70's, the Professor builds a rocket ship (instead of say, a raft), and they finally get off the island and get stranded on a strange planet. And it just goes downhill from there.

--Klonoa
Drinking game: take a swig every time someone works the word 'chomp' into the Pac-Man cartoon script.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
please do not bash the Superfriends. I liked the writing! :mad: Anyhoo, I am going to buy that my next trip to Wally World! Is it inexpensive?

BJ

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Looks like the Superfriends DVD is about $25.
Go for it! :smile:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
In Gilligan's Planet, a cartoon from the late 70's, the Professor builds a rocket ship (instead of say, a raft), and they finally get off the island and get stranded on a strange planet. And it just goes downhill from there.
Sounds like it. :wink:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Pacman was rather silly but hey! when I was a kid I loved that show. I loved Superfriends too. What was so silly about that?
Getting back to Pacman, it was a bit like the Smurfs, by that I mean, every other word would be substertuted for by "Pac" just like "Smurf" would replace every other word on The Smurfs. Not surprising since Pacman and The Smurfs were made by the same production company.