Jerry Nelson - active or not?

CherryPizza

Reaction score
I couldn't find this one being addressed anywhere...

Listening to the Count, Mumford and Herry on later SS episodes, it's apparent that either Jerry's voice has softened or there's somebody else voicing his characters.

I know that as recently as the late 90s, he was still a credited performer, and the list on this site about who currently performs some older characters makes no mention of any of Jerry's characters, so, um... does anybody know if he's still involved with the Muppets at all? If so, is his involvement full-time, or has he slowed down in later years (just noticed that he turned 70 a couple of days ago"

Cherry "Jerry got a pacemaker?" Pizza

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Jerry is still actively involved with the Muppets. As active as the performers are these days that is.

None of his characters have been recast at this post. Lew Zealand wasn't performed by Jerry in the NBC Christmas movie, but the characters have not been officially recast as in the case with Piggy/Fozzie and Eric Jacobson. Recasts could happen in the near future though.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah he's still fairly active although recently he has had some health issues that mean he cannot do the puppeteering side as much. There was an interview with him published recently which discussed this issue and from memory, i think he said he was voicing his characters in the last Muppet movie but did not puppeteer. Over the last couple of years he played a major part in Muppetfest (puppeterring and as a speaker) and also puppeteered on a cruise that some of the Muppeteers went on. No idea about his Sesame work but i'm sure someone here could tell you.

Edit :- Was posting same time as Phillip !