JHC Profitability

HappinessHotel

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just thinking about the Jim Henson Company's financial situation. Now that they no longer own the Muppets, do they still have money coming in? I know the Creature Shop must bring in a somewhat steady stream of cash, but that (in my eyes) seems to be their only reliable revenue generator. Has anyone seen any numbers concerning their financial situation? I know they are not a public company, so they don't have to report yearly revenues, etc., but I thought someone might have seen sales/revenue info in an article or something?

I hope the Jim Henson company is around for MANY years to come, but I worry that they won't be if they don't start producing some hits SOON. What do you guys think?

Bert & Ernie

Reaction score
Well they have Farscape and the hoobs (hhhmmm) but they ARE most famous for the muppets, even when people see stuff like bear in the big blue house they think of the muppets or any puppet things, so without the mupets I think they could steadily fade into the backgournd unless they come up with osmething good adn groundbreaking, wich i think is highly doubtfull. Anytihnk they do will make people think of the muppets because thats what Jim Henson is famous for so, best to keep a look out for future things they have.

Luke

Reaction score
Keep in mind that as well as money from the Creature Shop, and their 'Family' shows (Hoobs, Fraggle etc) distributed by HIT! they also have money from distributing the fantasy films and Farscape as well as a 3 year deal to produce Muppet and Bear programming for Disney and a further year deal to advise.

McFraggle

Reaction score
I would say that they will remain profitable, but not nearly as much as they were with the Muppet revenues. I think I heard that Disney will be paying them like a 5% cut of the profits though.

HappinessHotel

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
I would say that they will remain profitable, but not nearly as much as they were with the Muppet revenues. I think I heard that Disney will be paying them like a 5% cut of the profits though.
Wow, 5% is that all? Seems somewhat small.

Lady Holiday

Reaction score
HappinessHotel said:
Wow, 5% is that all? Seems somewhat small.
I agree...5% is not that substantial at all. Do you really think this was all worth it in the long run? :confused:

Luke

Reaction score
They get a small cut in the profits forever i think, but that is seperate to their current production and advisory deals with Disney which are obviously for a lot more cash up front and over the next four years. In any case even 5% of a household name property like Muppets is still very substantial - the shows, movies and merchandise are distributed all over the world and that will only increase now.

HappinessHotel

Reaction score
Luke said:
They get a small cut in the profits forever i think, but that is seperate to their current production and advisory deals with Disney which are obviously for a lot more cash up front and over the next four years. In any case even 5% of a household name property like Muppets is still very substantial - the shows, movies and merchandise are distributed all over the world and that will only increase now.
If it's 5% forever than that makes me feel better. I thought they meant 5% during this 4 year 'consulting deal' with Disney. Does anyone know the revenue sharing breakdown between JHC and Disney during their four year contract? (Probably none of my business -- but worth asking!) :smile:

Lady Holiday

Reaction score
I really think in order for JHC to be successful (profitable) they need to establish a name for themselves outside of the muppets. Where do you think the company is heading? :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
I thought it was 5% forever as like an ongoing commision on top of the lump sum they got at the start, maybe i'm wrong - i don't know.