Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog vs. Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Both pairs are big in world of entertainment. Both Henson and Disney have changed their form of entertainment in a big way. Disney changed animation and Henson changed puppetry. Their most famous characters have become icons. Mickey has become a cartoon icon and really famous outside of cartoons. Kermit has become an icon with puppetry and has become a real icon outside of pupptry. Who comes out on top?

I'm really in the middle of this. I like both very much. I grew up with each one. It would really hard to choose. As far as greatness goes, I think Disney and Mickey come out on top. However, when it comes to favorite, Henson and Kermit come out on top for me.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Thats a toughy
Mickey taught me to be nice to friends
But Kermit taught me about letters, numbers, and going after my dreams

Out of them both i'd have to say Jim Henson and Kermit :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know it's not a fun answer, but I don't think I could make a choice. They were both very important to the world of entertainment.

However, since we obviously spend most of our time talking about Muppets, I think I'll speak for Disney for a moment.

In recent years, Disney has gotten this reputation as cute and harmless and bland, which it really does not deserve. The theatrical cartoon shorts (Mickey, Donald and Goofy) of years past were just as violent and crazy (if not more so) than the average Tom and Jerry, and much wittier in my opinion. The animated feature films, Snow White, Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, could be quite scary, and always deep and touching in a mature, yet entertaining way. :smile:

I agree with the old 60 Minutes special, which said the Muppets' soaring popularlity was "not unlike the heyday of Disney." I think that's a tremendous compliment to be paid. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I appreciate Hensonian humor more than Disney's. However, House of Mouse gave me enough of a Muppet-style vibe that I grew enchanted with it ... which is kinda sad, really ... that the Toons have to act like Muppets for me to like them more. :big_grin:

Disney likes it's "Dream" to have a fairy-tale vibe to it, while Muppet "Dreams" revolve more around just hanging out together and being part of a family ... in show business ... but I always felt The Dream, the Muppet version anyway, was a lot more reachable.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I will say there's a big difference between Disney Mickey humor now and Disney Mickey humor in the past.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
You know what I just realized? Both pairs are going through the same problem right now. They both lost the greatness they once had. For example, when Walt Disney died, things were going ok for a while as far as movies go, but from the mid 90's on, especially today, everything Disney sucks. I mean who really cares about Hanna Montana? Not me. Also, of course when Jim Henson died, everything changed. The last couple of movies, weren't that great and Sesame Street isn't what it used to be.

I also thought, wouldn't be awesome if Jim Henson had a theme park just like Disney. I could just see it right now. "Step right up and take a ride through the Labryinth!" or "Take the trash can through grouchland!" and many more! That would awesome!

The only thing I don't like is, Disney taking the Muppets these days. They don't know what they are doing. Disney should just stay with Disney and don't get involved with the Muppets. The Muppets should only stay with the Jim Henson Company.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Right, around the time Walt died Disney fell off the radar in the '70s and to a certain extent in the '80s, until the new movies came about (Little Mermaid etc). In a way, the Muppets took over from Disney in the '70s, filled a hole that was missing in entertainment. Now the Muppets are going through the same thing. I think things can eventually get better, it just make take awhile, as it did with Disney.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
As a lifelong fan of both Disney and Muppets, I love Mickey and Kermit. Both for different reasons, but if you were to ask, which one seems closest related to his creator, I would defiantly have to say Kermit.

I know that Kermit isn't exactly the same as Jim Henson, but they had such similarities. Even Jim's voice really shines through with Kermit. I was surprised when I heard Jim Henson speak in an interview that he sounded very similar to Kermit, though he was softer spoken. Walt used a much cartooner voice for Mickey so that his natural voice and personality didn't shine through as much.

I love Mickey Mouse. Don't get me wrong on that fact. He's a loveable character and icon of the Disney company. However, he doesn't have quite the same connection with the audience (well, with me at least) that Kermit has. The best example I can provide is the scene where Kermit is quietly talking to himself in the desert in the Muppet Movie. There have been scenes in Mickey Mouse cartoons where I have felt sorry for Mickey, but I really connected with Kermit's problem and there was defiantly a strong sympatheic bond with him.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I must say that both men and icons are very important in the world of entertainment and have proved to be quite philanthropic.

That being said, Jim Henson and the Muppets have always had a more personal touch. You could actually meet Kermit (or a Muppet) in person (if you were so lucky) and interact with him. Mickey is either a cartoon image to be superimposed later or a silent costumed figure. I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with the mouse or any of the wonderful Disney characters, but Henson, Kermit, the Muppets and puppetry - while in some respects are considered antiquated by today's technology - inherently have that special personal touch. :hungry:

This personal touch also translated in Henson's work. Jim knew everything needed to turn a healthy profit, but his work with Sesame, Fraggle Rock and many other projects did not have money as their soul purpose. Kermit's environmental causes were always heartfelt - not simply a tax write-off. He really stuck his froggy neck out there for things, but in a gentle unassuming way. A lot can be said about the bumps and snags of late with the now defunct Ford Hybrid campaign, but the frog has fallen upon some lean years and I think it helped the Muppet gang and Kermit's causes in the long run. :wink:

So, I say for me, it's Henson and Kermit. Maybe they are a little lesser-known these days than Walt and Mickey, but they always appeared to be more approachable and always genuine. I am pleased that the Disney Empire will benefit from having him, yet again, as a reluctant role model. :smile: