Jim Henson Television Wins Three Saturn Awards

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Henson Television Wins Three Saturn Awards For Farscape and Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story
Coutesy of the Jim Henson Company

Farscape Wins Two Saturn Awards for 'Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series' And 'Best Actor in a Television Series'; Jim Henson's Jack and Beanstalk: The Real Story Wins for 'Best Single Television Presentation'

Jim Henson Television's critically-acclaimed sci-fi series Farscape and live-action miniseries Jim Henson's Jack and The Beanstalk: The Real Story received a total of three Saturn Awards at the 28th Annual Saturn Awards ceremony, sponsored by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films.

Farscape now has a total of three Saturn Awards under its belt including last year's award for "Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series." Farscape's Ben Browder, who plays Commander John Crichton on the show, won the award for "Best Actor in a Television Series" after being nominated three years in a row.

Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story, a miniseries directorial debut for acclaimed feature and television director Brian Henson, won a Saturn Award for "Best Single Television Presentation." The two-day television event brought to life one of the greatest fairytales of our time as a modern day live-action adventure, with unexpected twists and explanations that gave new meaning and morality to a familiar story. The miniseries aired last December on the CBS Television Network.

"Jim Henson Television is very proud of Farscape and Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story. Both embrace the 'fantasy reality' dramatic storylines and out-of-this-world special effects that our Company is so well known for, thus making both productions the brightest beacons of television this year," said Juliet Blake, President of Jim Henson Television, US. "We would like to thank The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films for recognizing our achievements."

"We couldn't be happier with the success and attention Farscape has garnered over the last three years," said David Kemper, Farscape's Executive Producer. "Winning 'Best Syndicated Cable Series' two years in a row is a testament to the strength of the show's writers, directors, cast and crew who have embraced each new season with a commitment to produce the very best in sci-fi entertainment. Ben Browder's honor is equally as deserving given the extraordinary talent and energy he has committed to the show."

"I feel blessed to be apart of Farscape, I love the show and what we do and feel jazzed that people are enjoying it," said Ben Browder who stars as John Crichton on Farscape.

"I am proud to have contributed to the creative force behind these two outstanding programs from Jim Henson Television," said Brian Henson, Director of Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story and Executive Producer of Farscape. "JACK, in particular, was a very special project for me professionally; since it was my miniseries directorial debut, it is a sincere honor to be credited with such a reputable award."

More About Farscape

Other 2002 Saturn Award nominees from Farscape this year included Claudia Black as Officer Aeryn Sun for "Best Actress in a Television Series," Anthony Simcoe as Ka D'Argo for "Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series," and Gigi Edgley as Chiana for "Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series."

The press has hailed Farscape as "The Best Sci-Fi on TV" by TV Guide, "TV's Best Space Series" by USA Today, and "The Year's Best in TV" by Newsday. A TV Guide cover proclaimed Farscape's Claudia Black and Gigi Edgley as two of the "Sexiest Stars in the Universe," and TV Guide Ultimate Cable called Ben Browder one of the "Sexiest Men in the Universe." Now in its fourth season, Farscape airs on SCI FI Channel Friday nights at 10 pm ET/PT.

Farscape stars Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Anthony Simcoe, Gigi Edgley and Wayne Pygram. As the epic unfolds, an unlikely hero, American astronaut John Crichton, is catapulted to the distant edge of the universe where an intergalactic conflict rages. As he searches for a way home, Crichton's journey to new worlds increasingly becomes an odyssey of courage for him -- and for viewers, a journey of the mind and heart.

Created by Rockne S. O'Bannon and produced by the multi-award-winning creative teams from The Jim Henson Company in association with Hallmark Entertainment, Farscape showcases feature film quality special effects and technologically innovative animatronic creatures from the Academy Award®- winning Jim Henson's Creature Shop(TM). Farscape is executive produced by David Kemper, Juliet Blake, Robert Halmi, Jr., Brian Henson and Richard Manning.

More About Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story

A cast of award-winning stars was featured in Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story including leading performances by Matthew Modine and Mia Sara. Vanessa Redgrave, Jon Voight, Lord Richard Attenborough and Daryl Hannah also starred. Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story is available on home video and DVD.

The miniseries was illuminated through the use of exceptional special effects created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop. The fabled beanstalk, giants and the kingdom take form through Henson's unique creature-making capabilities, including computer graphics and the Academy Award-winning Henson Performance Control System.

Jim Henson Television produced Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story. Brian Henson, Bill Haber and James V. Hart were Executive Producers. Martin G. Baker and Tom Smith were Producers. Pete Coogan and Alex Rockwell were Co-Producers. Story by James V. Hart and Brian Henson. Teleplay by James V. Hart, Brian Henson and Bill Barretta.

About The Jim Henson Company

The Jim Henson Company, an established leader in family entertainment for more than 45 years, is a multimedia production company; one of the top character licensors in the industry; a leading publisher of children's books and home to Jim Henson Television, Jim Henson Pictures, Jim Henson Interactive, Jim Henson Home Entertainment and Jim Henson's Creature Shop(TM). The Company is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices and production facilities in New York and London. The Jim Henson Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of EM.TV & Merchandising AG based in Munich, Germany. The Jim Henson Company website is located at: www.henson.com.

danielromens

Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith. Brian's not the hack people think. Tip of the Iceberg in my opinion.

danielromens

Reaction score
a hack is a form of slang reference used to suggest a person who isn't good at what they do.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I ventured it was something like that.

I admit I was very skeptical of Brian Henson and believed that the Muppets would never be the same. And I guess they're not. But on Father's Day we watched The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island, and I discovered I really liked MTI quite a bit better. Though I think the human characters that made the difference mostly. Sorry I forget their names, but the rich gal and her brother is the part of TGMC that I didn't like. Long John Silver was great in Treasure.

I also enjoyed how Sam the Eagle was developed and quite loveable in his own way. A gentle reminder that those who are grumps and wet blankets can often be quite noble and have your best interest at heart, even if it's a little off track.

Markus