Jim Henson: Young Puppeteer

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Has anybody read "Jim Henson: Young Puppeteer" by Leslie Grouse? I had heard about it years ago when it came out but finally picked up a copy last week at the library. It's intended for young readers (part of the "Childhood of Famous Americans" book series), but it's a good book filled with lots of info about Jim Henson's early years.

I was curious to know how many have read it and hear what you think about it....

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I bought it from Amazon (good price), and found it kind of cheesey (it IS for kids to read).

It was neat to learn lots of things about Jim (again); but, as a puppeteer (or "creative engineer" as I call it if you do puppets and other art, too) did you see much about him that you can pin-point to your own life, too? Growing up and likes/dislikes and such?

It's amazing to me how much I find in common, what with Wizard of Oz fandom and stuff, including being born and bred in Mississipp'.

Now, if only I could move to Washington and get on TV...

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
Jim Henson...Young ....sans beard.....

I know its so wrong to say but.......

He was soooooooooooo hot. . .

I appologize for any mental damage I have caused.....

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
:eek: That was one of the most disgusting things I've read for a long time....

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
*picks up his pieces to get on with his life*

So, back to my question for those who've read it:

Did you find certain aspects about Jim Henson and yourself that kind of match up?

Ernie101

Reaction score
I was wandering if there were any other books about Henson and his start as a puppeteer.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think that is the only one that is very detailed. There's a small booklet on his early years in Jim Henson: The Works and more on his high school / college years in Designs and Doodles but otherwise that's about it.

I've always wondered why they haven't done a Biography of him on A&E.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Yeah same here...That would be cool.They seem to have very accurate and in-detailed facts.