1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Jim Henson: Young Puppeteer

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Buck-Beaver, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Has anybody read "Jim Henson: Young Puppeteer" by Leslie Grouse? I had heard about it years ago when it came out but finally picked up a copy last week at the library. It's intended for young readers (part of the "Childhood of Famous Americans" book series), but it's a good book filled with lots of info about Jim Henson's early years.

I was curious to know how many have read it and hear what you think about it....
  2. Tztz

Tztz Member

i have heard about it and read about it at amazon and Ebay, but havent bought or read.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I bought it from Amazon (good price), and found it kind of cheesey (it IS for kids to read).

It was neat to learn lots of things about Jim (again); but, as a puppeteer (or "creative engineer" as I call it if you do puppets and other art, too) did you see much about him that you can pin-point to your own life, too? Growing up and likes/dislikes and such?

It's amazing to me how much I find in common, what with Wizard of Oz fandom and stuff, including being born and bred in Mississipp'.

Now, if only I could move to Washington and get on TV...
  4. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

Jim Henson...Young ....sans beard.....

I know its so wrong to say but.......

He was soooooooooooo hot. . .

I appologize for any mental damage I have caused.....
  5. Tztz

Tztz Member

its ok
    i have already understood that "henson people" forum ment to judge the sexiness of henson's pupeteers :flirt: ;)
  6. Fozzie Bear

Thanks, MuppetFreak...

*Head explodes!*
  7. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

EW!!!!! I got Fozzie brain all over me!
  8. Buck-Beaver

:eek: That was one of the most disgusting things I've read for a long time....
  9. Tztz

Tztz Member

but you cant say its not funny:):D :D
  10. Buck-Beaver

This is true..... :zany:
  11. Fozzie Bear

*picks up his pieces to get on with his life*

So, back to my question for those who've read it:

Did you find certain aspects about Jim Henson and yourself that kind of match up?
  12. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I was wandering if there were any other books about Henson and his start as a puppeteer.
  13. Buck-Beaver

I think that is the only one that is very detailed. There's a small booklet on his early years in Jim Henson: The Works and more on his high school / college years in Designs and Doodles but otherwise that's about it.

I've always wondered why they haven't done a Biography of him on A&E.
  14. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Yeah same here...That would be cool.They seem to have very accurate and in-detailed facts.
  15. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

They have done a biography of him on Great Performances. I used to have it on tape....no idea where it is now....

I have also read another biography of his early days that filled me with rage because they said Miss Piggy's hands were the puppeteer's hands with gloves on them and such inacuracies fill me with rage.
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, I don't remember reading this particular book, but I've read other "biographies" (mostly for children) that have gone into this stuff, and, yes, I have noticed the similarities. As you stated, The Wizard of Oz fandom being one. Being fascinated by the television (while nt quite becoming a junkie) is another. :)

Yeah, I see that certain aspects do match up in my life as his did.
  17. Buck-Beaver

The "Great Performances" episode wasn't good, but it was done for PBS, not A&E's "Biography."

They have technically covered his life in part of the "Sesame Street" Biography special but that was very short on facts and more in the style of their "TVography" episodes.
  18. Fozzie Bear

When did A&E do a biography on Jim Henson?? I want a copy of that! :eek:
  19. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

They did an A&E Bio of Jim? When was this? Can you get it anywhere?
  20. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus New Member

I think you can buy the A&E episode on A&E.com. I saw it on T.V., it was mostly about Sesame Street. A very good special though!

Jake